Author Topic: Hornbeam?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Hornbeam?
« on: December 25, 2013, 05:25:00 am »
  I have a hawk head made by KHalverson and wanted to use hornbeam from my area. Though I never worked it I know it's reputation for toughness and it's use in tool handles. I plan on cutting a piece this weekend while squirrel hunting and wanted to know how to cure it. Should I let it dry with bark on or debark? Does it check easily? Anyone with hornbeam experience please help. I have cut it while camping and know it is super hard and dense.
                                                        Thanks, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JEB

Re: Hornbeam?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:16:19 am »
I say bark off to season.

Hop Hornbeam is also referred to here in Michigan as Ironwood and has that name for a reason.lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:35:54 am »
Is it American hophorn or hop hornbeam?  You'd probably treat both the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:50:47 am »
  Thanks guys, Pat it is Carpinus Caroliniana, Hornbeam without the hop...I read later after posting that some folks have had some checking problems. I wanted to do this piece justice but I guess a piece of dry hickory from the hardware store reduced would suffice, just wouldn't be as fun. Just didn't know what some folks had experienced.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:54:37 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
My bad, Donald. That is what I meant.  :-[    If the piece is big enough just let it check and make the handle from the unchecked part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 11:09:28 am »
 Now that's thinking! I'm not trying to make a bow O:) I'll just cut a long pole and see what happens...May even find some dead standing when I get there...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 11:47:00 am »
Cut the pole long enough to get the handle and a bow from I.  ;D

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »
 Another good idea! I heard hornbeam is a beast when it comes to debarking and working...

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 03:29:18 pm »
Debark right after you cut it. There is a group of us that get together on Thursdays and a couple are making hornbeam self bows.  I have made one and it wasn't bad to work.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »
 Thanks JEB, feel free to post some progress, would love to see it!