Author Topic: Recurve tips to offset set?  (Read 1148 times)

Offline ConorO

Recurve tips to offset set?
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:30:42 pm »
Hello all,

I just finished my very first bow ever! And it didn't explode on me! Yet...  :laugh: However, it has taken a lot of set and the poundage is extremely light... It's fun to shoot, but maybe could only kill a chipmunk or two. Anyway, I'm young, and this was a Christmas gift for my girlfriend, as she only has compound bows; I figured it'd be a fun way to get her into more primitive shooting, plus handmade gifts mean so much more even if they don't turn out the way we'd like. Anyway, eventually, I am going to make her another bow, one that is hopefully of hunting quality. However, my question is, can one recurve tips in order to try and counter-balance set and/or increase poundage? I'd like to do something to it for her, or is it best to let sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks for the advice! I think I am becoming an addict to the bowyer's lifestyle....

Offline Weylin

Re: Recurve tips to offset set?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
My advice is to enjoy it as is and make a new one. If you want recurves you should plan for them and design the bow accordingly. Recurves effectively shorten the limb causing them to be under more stress. If the bow is already taking set then adding more stress will simply cause more set. Recurves will up the poundage but will more than likely be offset by the increased set cancelling out your benefit.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
I agree 100% with Weylin!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:14 pm »
All depends on what you have, I guess. If you have a stave bow, it might not be dry enough. I would suggest heat treating its belly. If it is long enough, you can shorten it to increase its draw weight. If the bow is well tillered enough, you can either reflex it or recurve its tips or both. I usually do both by steaming and clamping it to a caul. Actually to be safe, this should have been done before the final tillering. Good luck.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »
I agree totally but.....if you want to tinker with it, I would temper the belly and add a bit of reflex, no recurves though for the reasons Weylin mentioned.  You might end up with less than you started with though.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.