Author Topic: Arrows of Old!!!  (Read 5645 times)

Offline artcher1

Arrows of Old!!!
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
Well, not that old. Things a little slow over here so I thought I'd show some goodies. I believe these sourwood shoot arrows went to Chris Cade a few years ago. Showed 'em before, but a lot of new guys around, so I thought I'd give them a peek too.

So if any of you guys have any "arrows of old", lets see 'em.........Art
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:10:24 pm by artcher1 »

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Arrows of Old!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:56:27 pm »
Killer set of arrows Art, very nice. I have some scattered older arrows from sets made in the past although only a few have survived from each set, I abuse and break a lot of 'em. :D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:04:03 pm »
Thanks BB! I really doubt if these arrows ever got shot. I think Cade is more of a collector of my arrows then anything else. I think that's when I started writing on my arrows, "Caution: not for display, for making meat only". ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »
I have very few of my older arrows if any. I either loose them or give them away. I do still have most of my Artcher1 arrows, some collectors items but many have been used over the years.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:28:50 pm »
I haven't been making my own arrows for that long of time maybe 10 years but here are some that I donated to the St. Jude auction over on TG about 5 years ago.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:44:26 pm »
Those are real nice Fred! Thanks for sharing............Art

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
Heres an assortment of what remains of a half dozen different sets of arrows I made in the past. All these had 11 sisters at one time but now only one or two remain from each family. The broken one on the right was the first set I ever made and that arrow took my very first selfbow killed deer 14 years ago, the buck whose rack is in the picture.
None of these are what I would call well crafted arrows but more recent ones are turning out better and I'm trying to
hone my arrow making skills a little at a time.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 07:32:02 pm »
Sorry Fred, meant to comment on how nice that set of yours was before I posted above. Real good looking set of arrows Fred, bet they did well at the benefit auction.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »
I'll pot a few pics a bit later after I look them up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 08:07:40 pm »
Now that's a cool idea on that rack BB. Looks like some nice "arrows of old" there too!

Here's my first "killer". Unfinished Osage arrow made from the scrap of the Osage selfbow I took the deer with. Shame it didn't survive. Finished making the arrow that morning and took it out unfinished that afternoon. 8) Many moons ago also...........Art

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »
Super looking arras guys,  Shame they break now and then.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:50:29 am »
Here are a few of mine from a few years back.
The 2 on the left are made from black walnut shafts and the 2 on the right are sourwood.

Well, that's all for tonight. Photobucket is screwing with me again.  >:(

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 02:27:40 am »
Art, the first time I saw your work was a couple arrows Steve Gardner got. I've been drooling over what you do ever since. Thanks very much for posting these pictures.

Guy

Offline artcher1

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:18:47 am »
Guy, yeah, those arrows I gave Steve were some of my first bamboo arrows. I'd like to think my knowledge and workmanship has improved somewhat since then. Thanks for looking!

Nice arrows Pat! I like the walnut for arrows myself. More durable than most folks think. And the only thing that might beat a sourwood arrow is your hill cane :'(..............Art

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
Those are Beautiful arrows guys! I have a cane and a walnut blunt from Pat. Love those arrows! Art I had the honor of holding your beautifully crafted arrows that you sent Stringstretcher. Needless to say I was quite humbled to hold those works of "Art"
Really inspired me on perfecting my primitive arrows. Got a long way to go!

Great thread. Thanks for sharing!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt