Author Topic: Coveting Gordon's Vice Jaws  (Read 3255 times)

Don Case

Coveting Gordon's Vice Jaws
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:46 pm »
Gordon, if you see this, I've been looking at your yew recurve buildalong and I'm wondering how you attach the leather jaws to your vice. I use a piece of leather but I'm always picking it up off the floor or something. Have you glued the leather to the blocks and then drilled them to match the vice pattern? I thought if you had done that you would have left the original steel jaws off. Are the leather jaws easily removed for heavier work?
Thanks
Don

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Coveting Gordon's Vice Jaws
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:22:28 am »
I glue leather onto a thin piece of hard wood and then drill a hole and epoxy a few rare earth magnets in the holes.  They stay put but can be easily removed and stuck on the back sides of the vice when I don't need them.  I'm not sure how Gordons are made.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:31:10 am »
Thanks, I hadn't thought of magnets. Good one!  If I plan it right the magnets could stick on to the jaw mounting screws and help position the leather jaws.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:44:11 am »
Use a 4 inch jawed engineering vice and then simply glue some suede to the jaw faces. Works a treat. I haven't seen Gordon's so can't comment on that.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:18 am »
These work really well, easy to make and easy to remove when you don't need them. I copied the padded jaws off a gun makers vice I had that is leaned up against my vice.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:28 am »
I cut a a 1" diameter pvc pipe in half (length wise) and heated them up until pliable. then layed them in the vice jaws and clamped them until they cooled off. after that I just glued old scraps of buckskin to the pvc jaws. works real nice, buckskin grips well and the pvc has enough give to not hurt the wood.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
I glued two strips of tooling leather together for each side of the vice then epoxied them right to the jaws. They've been holding very well. If I ever redo them, I'm stealing the wood/earth magnet idea.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51:56 am »

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »
Wow u guys are way ahead of me. I wrap an old towel around the bow and pinch it in the vice
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »
Wow u guys are way ahead of me. I wrap an old towel around the bow and pinch it in the vice

I use to use a folded up fender cover that I stole from my brother. lol

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »
I just have a length of old woolen carpet about 1' x 5" that I drape over the open jaws. Quick, simple, effective.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 12:38:57 pm »

Brilliant idea. I too just stuff some leather in the jaws but its forever falling out. I could make a few different pads using your method and change them as I go.
Excellent.

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:10:21 pm »
I went and copied a picture from one of Gordon's threads. I like the loop of leather, it pads the whole vise. Gordons ears must be burning by now >:D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:15:14 pm by Don C »

Offline bowmo

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:16:01 pm »
I just glued mine to the metal with Goop silicone glue. 8 years later and they are still on there.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »
Burning indeed! Yep Don, that picture captures perfectly how I do it.
Gordon