Author Topic: question for people who cut shelfs  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Blacktail

question for people who cut shelfs
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:41:27 pm »
o.k. i have been doing some shelf cutting..AND i love shooting my bows with a shelf...BUT,i cut one today and cut it to far across the center of the handle...NOW,its really cracking..OF COURSE..so,is there any ideas on how to fix it...i have a 4 1/2 inch handle..thanks john

Offline artcher1

Re: question for people who cut shelfs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:40:37 pm »
Man, are you going to catch heck on this board for cutting in a shelf in the first place ;D. But hey, you're in good company though, I cut 'em in all of mine ;).

Cracking laterally or lengthwise?

This is a tough one John. Maybe cut your handle down and laminate back up. Perhaps do an overlay on the back also.

You could lower the bow's weight, or move the greater bend out from the fades, or both.

Pic sure would help.  Good luck............Art

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:41:52 pm »
Better wear a hard hat :o
Now is the good old days

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »
I love cut in shelfs.  I also love no shelf or a glue on or wrap on shelf....  I love all variations.   Lately I've been making S shaped or Z shaped handles so and cutting in a shelf but their is still a full inch of material between the shelf and the other side of the handle.   

If there is cracking......I'd be be very concerned....Like Art said it would be good to know which way the crack goes. 
If it bends through the handle at all....well you are probably going to have real issues. If the handle is static you may have a chance of fixing it..  a few pics would help.  Some of the really smart people here could recommend something.   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
shelves are for books,, not bows....lol......flame on!  (duck)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »
Let me guess, using power tools right ?
I like osage

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:36:31 pm »
Need some pics.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
i need to put this on the tillering tree tomorrow...for some reason i just strung up the bow and drew the bow back twice and no cracking sound...SO,i wondering if it is the glue cracking in the handle wrap..i havent seen any cracks appear....tomorrow might be a BIG BANG good or bad...thanks..

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »
joe no...i was rasping thru my handle wrap which might have messed me up... measuring..i will find out tomorrow...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:22:01 am »
Take the wrap off an THOUGHOULY inspect. Can't be too careful.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20:12 am »
Cut in shelves are NOT my thing, look too much like a glass bow, but you could remove the shelf and make a smooth dished out area.  Then you could build it back up with thin lams.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:12:48 am »
i like shelf cuts, made a few. Now I like to add a piece of contrasting colored wood to the side of the handle (i.e. osage bow with cocobollo tips and shelf piece). depends on the bow though.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline autologus

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:12:55 am »
Why not glue in a patch where the cut in shelf is and then re-cut it?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
I used to not do any cut ins on my bows, but now I'm starting to. It makes for a more efficient bow and its easier to tune your arrows. The trick is to do it the right way.  If I'm going to build a truly centershot bow, when I lay out my handle I'll angle it to the right(on the belly side). Most people who cut thier bow center shot build a waisted handle  then cut in their shelf. This leaves very little wood above the handle where most of the stress is. By angleing the handle you have the same amount of wood above your handle as a normal non centershot bow. The other plus to that is that it lets you cant your hand a bit more which allows for more bone support in the shot.

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:37:16 pm »
Take the wrap off an THOUGHOULY inspect. Can't be too careful.

after inspection if you are still anxious about it glue a lam on the bows back  from fade to fade and then rasp it down and finish, a little added protection and it looks sharp
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹