Author Topic: OS time filler  (Read 2740 times)

Don Case

OS time filler
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:17:32 pm »
While I'm waiting for my decent OS staves to season I spotted this slab that I had cut off a stave. It's 48" NTN braced, 1 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick at it's thickest. I epoxied a riser on and steamed some recurves in. It had a thin spot on each limb that  hinged a bit so I epoxied a 1/8" patch on each side. Actually 2 patches on one side, I screwed up a bit :-[. It threatened to be quite light but as it bent  the weight kept climbing. The picture is only drawn to 24". I was trying to manipulate the camera timer and the tree and that's what I got. I have pulled it to 38# at 27". I don't know if it would take much of that. The bark is flaking like crazy but no chrysals so far. I'll probably spot some tillering faults as soon as I post this. What do you think? I don't know what I'll do with it but it sure beats watching staves dry. :D

Online Badger

Re: OS time filler
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
  Thats almost identical to my 48 OS bow, mine was 52#@28". I shot it for a few years and gave it to a guy who told me a couple years after he had it it finaly blew. He is about 6"5" tall so I suspect he may have overdrawn it.

Offline echatham

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 06:38:11 pm »
do the arrows show you which way to pull the string?  :laugh: >:D

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:48:26 pm »
They are from a previous picture. ;D I'm going to get some blackboard material for my next backboard. I didn't notice them til I posted and I was wondering how long it would take to get a comment ;D

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »
do the arrows show you which way to pull the string?  :laugh: >:D

Lol
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:41 pm »
surley you put the arrows the other way on a bow? lol looks nice like the recurves.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
I'd do a little fine tuning, make a few arrows and go shoot some rabbits until it blows!  Your staves should be dry by then ;D
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 08:24:01 pm »
Rabbits have just arrived here in the last couple of years. When I was a kid and wanted rabbits to trap/hunt there were none. Now that I have a garden they arrive. There is still not many, maybe see one a week. Little cottontails, probably couldn't hit one with a .22 let alone a bow. It would keep me busy replacing lost arrows.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
Nice bend Don.  That piece had no pith left in it..?  No lack of OS around thats for sure, but its tough to find big stuff like around 2-3" Diameter.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:21 pm »
It was from a 2" or so stave that had the pith way off center. I just bandsawed this off to expose pith for drying. I used a little caution so this wound up with very little pith and I sawed that off evening it up. There's lots of 2"-2 1/2" around here but most of it is less than 5' long. I've made 3 or 4 sets of billets. I can get two billets out of a 40" piece so there is no shortage. I just have to learn how to splice. For some reason I would rather not use billets but there is no logic to it.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:33:56 pm »
Very nice!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline dbb

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 09:44:55 pm »
Thats not a bad "time filler",i really like the shape of that one!
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 10:09:48 pm »
48" stave, went for the stiff handle anyways. Damn, way to pull that off!

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 10:27:10 pm »
I'm waiting to see if the handle pops off. I couldn't do it without some kind of add-on handle. It was only 1/2" thick in the handle area.

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »
It was from a 2" or so stave that had the pith way off center. I just bandsawed this off to expose pith for drying. I used a little caution so this wound up with very little pith and I sawed that off evening it up. There's lots of 2"-2 1/2" around here but most of it is less than 5' long. I've made 3 or 4 sets of billets. I can get two billets out of a 40" piece so there is no shortage. I just have to learn how to splice. For some reason I would rather not use billets but there is no logic to it.

Splicing is one way to go.  Maybe try a 2 piece, if you can get a copy of a PA magazine from this year there are 2 build-a-longs in it making a 2 piece using the fiberglass method. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell