Author Topic: Which came first?  (Read 1193 times)

Don Case

Which came first?
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:49:25 pm »
I was reading Carsons sig line
""The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompson"

It got me wondering how and in what order things got invented. We have the lyre, the fire bow and the bow and arrow, that I can think of. I would think that the fire bow came first, then someone accidently fired the fire stick across the campsite and the bow and arrow was born. The lyre could have come from either the fire bow or the bow and arrow. It's fun to run time backwards to try and figure out how things happened.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Which came first?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:52:58 pm »
Bows have only been around for about 12 thousand years. I'm not sure how long lyres or music itself have been around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »
just gonna guess,, music has been around as long as man could grunt in a pleasing manner....lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 09:08:09 pm »
Howdy,  Bone flutes have been found, that date to 40,000 years ago.  Conjecture is that percussion instruments and voice were used even earlier.   So.....music long predates any archery, especially since no bow has been found older than ~10,000 years old.  Now when harps/ lyres, etc. we're devolved?      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers