Author Topic: chase a ring...or not  (Read 4205 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
chase a ring...or not
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
So I've heard mention of multiple woods that are suitable for peeling the bark, and shazam, there's your bow back. I'm just curious, and wondering if we can make a short, or long I guess, list of woods that you don't need to chase a ring on. I'm kinda impatient, and not a big fan of chasing rings. To be honest, I'd rather clean the shop than chase a ring :o Thanks for the info!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Joec123able

Re: chase a ring...or not
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »
Any wood that's good for making bows you can just peel the bark off and make that the back that includes woods like Osage where people have this false idea that only the heart wood is good which is not true.
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:29 pm »
I actually enjoy chasing rings btw
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:19 pm »
Mullberry, osage and locust need a ring chased Dave.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:02 pm »
About any white wood is good to go for a clean back under the bark.  Just cut them in the spring or early summer when the sap is flowing. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:16:31 pm »
I had an idea that it had to do with whether or not the wood is ring porous or diffuse porous. Maybe not?

Just seems like most woods that need a ring chased are ring porous.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »
Not sure about mulberry and osage, but I've made several still-functional sap-backed black locust bows.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:08:41 am »
I've made bows with just mulberry sapwood with good results and have left sapwood on the back of osage, mulberry and locust bows. These three woods are generally reduced to heartwood for bows. I guess just about all other woods would be considered whitewood as far as bow building goes. Red oak, cherry, black walnut are all considered whitewoods even though they aren't. The wood under the bark is what you would normally use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:25 am »
Had to think about this one.  The wood types I will NEVER chased a ring on:  hickory, hophornbeam, and juniper.  I'll chase rings on everything else if I need to.  I ALWAYS chase rings on osage, locust, mesquite, or any wood that has been dried with the bark on except hickory, hophornbeam, or juniper.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:19:26 am »
So it sounds like there's only a few woods that must have a ring chased, in most people's opinion anyway. Good to know, Thanks everybody!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
I have always wondered about the mantra that any white wood is good to go right under the bark. The ring may be clean but as I have found with three ash bows now it is all about the ring ratio.
By this I mean the ash I cut recently looks like its first 10 years or so growth was great but after that it was shaded out. If I did just chose the ring under the bark as I did on two bows the ratio is ribbish with the consistency of crumbly cheese separating thin layers of wax paper. Both bows took shocking set at early tiller despite being long and wide, think ironing board width and barge pole long.

I chased a ring on one of the last staves down to nice thick rings with good early/late and its much happier.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 11:42:40 am »
Personally, I've peeled ash, hackberry, guava, mulberry, oak, and hickory.  Chasing a ring isn't really an option for me.  That sounds like a big pain in the butt.  I'll likely never chase a ring.  Like someone else said, be sure to cut in late spring and early summer.  Here in Florida you can cut much later though.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
Remove the bark as soon as you can after you cut them.  It will stick tight if you let it set for a while.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 12:06:47 pm »
Had to think about this one.  The wood types I will NEVER chased a ring on:  hickory, hophornbeam, and juniper.  I'll chase rings on everything else if I need to.  I ALWAYS chase rings on osage, locust, mesquite, or any wood that has been dried with the bark on except hickory, hophornbeam, or juniper.

I agree with the HHB for sure. That would be a son of a gun to get right. Never worked with stave hickory, and never worked with juniper at all.