Author Topic: Want to read a long story?  (Read 10858 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Want to read a long story?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »
I can see from the pic that the deer really headed into the thick stuff to die, good follow up to find him in there. Nothing you can do about the coyotes, just the way it is when you got a bunch of them around. Real nice deer
Chris, congrats. I'm sure you'll make good use of what ya salvaged.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 08:26:10 pm »
Nice Buck, Chris................Glad you didn't give up on him,  way to tough it out.  Darn them yotes............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:18 pm »
Been there.  Always feel bad about not finding one till the next day.  Happens.  Glad you found him.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:58 pm »
Too bad, Pearlie. Could you tell why the bullet didn't stop him sooner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:54 am »
That is a beautiful buck, gorgeous symetrical rack and a nice grey face.  Thanks for having the ethics to stick with the tracking, shows us what kinda quality you have.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 12:50:39 am »
Man that's a great buck and a beautiful trophy. It's hard when it happens and makes you sick to your stomach and you will lose sleep over it, but it happens. Good of you to stay on the trail and find him. Reminds you of old Jack London tales and the brutal side of nature. Congratulations despite the bitter sweet aspect amigo  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline danny f

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 04:04:52 am »
great story,its a shame the coyotes got there first though. >:(

Offline chamookman

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 06:11:40 am »
Way to hang in there with the follow-up! Too bad the Yotes got to it  - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 06:47:38 am »
Nice deer Chris,to bad about the yots. It's a hard decision to leave one over night in our part of the country and looks like it is in yours also. As for the yots having to eat,yes they do but I will still shoot them on site if I get the chance.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:20 am »
Reminds me of a funny story. We were just bedding down for the night in the tipi when another villager came over and called out to us, to see if we were awake. I invited him in and he looked distressed. He explained that he took a shot at a deer, just as it was starting to get dark. In the thick it was much darker than out of it, and he saw a clear, clean shot, pulled his bow and released, sure that he got a kill shot. Let the dear go for the night and came up to ask for help tracing it in the morning. We got up and three of us, one of us being an excellent tracker, searched up and down the mountain for that deer, picking up plenty of tracks but no blood. We followed deer trail after deer trail, walking at least 10 miles up and down and around and around. Nothing. Not a drop of blood to be seen. He was positive he hit the deer, as he is a great shot and was, by his estimation, only about 6 yards from the deer. After two days of searching we gave up, and out of sadness and disappointment, he broke his hunting arrows as a penance. The next day, he was walking by the spot and stepped out to urinate by the trees and there it was, his arrow, clean and in the base of the tree. He somehow missed that 6 yard shot!

Good job finding the buck Pearl Drums. Coyote doesn't taste too awful...
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 08:21:30 am »
I find them a little stringy Wylden . ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
Too bad, Pearlie. Could you tell why the bullet didn't stop him sooner.

I missed my mark 2-3" left Pat. He was quartered to my right, the bullet hit his 3rd or 4th rib back rather than square in the front of the shoulder area. My guess is I got some liver and mostly guts. It was my fault, I missed my mark. Had I hit him right, he probably would have tumbled backwards and not moved again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 09:33:26 am »
Accuracy under extreme conditions is tough no matter what sometimes Pearly. My son was having problems hitting his mark due to an eye problem and I had him go to peeps on his MLs. I know it's impossible  to convey the difference it made in his ability to take game with his MLs, but he'll be the first to tell you it made All the difference in his shooting.  Peeps gives you a longer line of sight, and that in itself makes a gun more accurate. Remove the aperture for hunting and use the housing like a ghost ring. Think about it...........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 09:40:37 am »
I do need glasses Artsy, but I wont make excuses. I simply missed my mark. I was almost touching bullets at 50 yards on Friday afternoon while shooting and screwed up at 50 yards on Sunday.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
Congrats again bud...sucks, but stuff happens. Ya stuck it out and found him, that's the biggest thing!

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan