Author Topic: Winter Knapping  (Read 2465 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Winter Knapping
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:05:31 pm »
Since winter time has rolled into the Northeast and my quartzite and argillite stash is buried under freshly fallen snow. I have turned to the grinder again. I have built myself a super grinder.    11 stacked tile saw blades which  eats rock like candy. Really shortens up the time for the rough grind of the blade.  It is cold in the shop also so after an hour with the kerosene heater it is pretty comfortable. A bucket of warm water and I am ready to go grinding, The last warm spell we had I was out with the tile saw and cut a whole pile of preforms, so I am set for a while.  Here is a shot of some of my recently finished blades.
Clockwise from the red blade which is Fenton slag, Dark green Burns, Goldfield jasper,  pink and green Fenton slag. ruby/raspberry Fenton, Wyoming Oil chert, Mexican green, Georgetown, and AZ Basalt.

Then I made the best blade I have ever done, nicest flake pattern, from the best material Mexican Velvet obsidian, and promptly dropped it on  a stair step to the basement. Initially survived the fall landing on the butt of the blade, but when it fell over, it snapped. I wanted to cry, I might just yet.

I was given two chunks of jasper to saw, heat and biface this summer for a client. This is the first two bifaces I got from the slabs. Heated to 500. Very nice material.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Winter Knapping
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »
Nice Steve I see I'm going to have to make a road trip so we can play.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:37 am »
Cools stuff Steve!  I will get there one of these days..I have loads of chunky high grade ny chert that's ideal for slabbing...wheres that q and argillite pile I will dig it out... :o ;) ;) ;)

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:05:36 am »
Jeeeesh! Those a perrrrrty... Love the grey one at 7 o'clock, love them all...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:43:37 am »
That's a fine job of pressure flaking for sure!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:59:41 am »
Some nice work! Too bad about that blade.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »
Beautiful work. I haven't worked slabs much, but I shore see the efficiency of the idea. Lot less waste.

gutpile

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:58 pm »
super glue that blade back it will be fine...I have done the same thing...lol

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:03 pm »
Very nice, pretty patterns.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »
Thanks guys for all the great comments. Flake Over Grind I am discovering is not as easy as it seems., The main goal is to make a neat even pattern.  As slight change in the smoothness of the surface or the bite on the edge by the flaker can make the pattern be off then, the blades don't look as nice. It is about perfection for me. The broken blade was one of the nicest patterns I have made. altho the knife I am making for the Christmas exchange is just about as nice.

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:18:15 pm »
Great work. :)