Author Topic: Belt Sander problem  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Badger

Belt Sander problem
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:42:09 am »
   I have a 6X48 harbor freight belt sander, been using it for years almost daily. All of a sudden the belts are too long to adjust. I have taken it completey apart and cannot find any worn parts or detect any wear on bearings, cam adjutment, pins etc. Scratching my head. I can still use it by prying out the front roller and then locking it down but that should not be neccessary. Feels like I am loosing about 1/8" somewhere. If I have to replace it I figure costy of ownershp has been about .10 cents a day but I would rather not if I could avoid it.

Offline artcher1

Re: Belt Sander problem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:12:30 am »
Have you changed brands of belts lately Steve? Old belts too long also? I've had bandsaw blades I had to return because they were too long.............Art

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:29 am »
 Art, I did change brands and that seemd to be part of the problem, Just yesterday I got my old brand in the mail and they will work but slip if I put too much pressure. I am thinking I mush have some where somewhere but can't figure anything else to look at??

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:50:48 am »
 the drums might be starting to wear down a little. I got an old one from my grandfather when he passed there was no more tension in so I glue a piece of thin leather around the drum.... works like a charm

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
My sander is the old Montgomery Ward and is about forty years old. Only problem I have from time to time in all those years is the roller adjustment screws back off from vibrations I guess.  About the only other thing I can think of except for belts. 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »
Hey, my front roller have a rubber sleeve over it, so Paul's suggestion would certainly take care of your problem Steve.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:43:53 pm »
I have a Harbor Freight also it does the same thing & it hasn't been used that much.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »
  Leatherize the roller it is. I have been using about 4 thicknesses of duct tape around my rollers I just cut it off as some sticky stuff was bleeding out and causing roughness in the belt.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:54 pm »
Steve, after doing some searching around the web one guy suggested buying some brush-on rubber urethane to handle the job. Check out ebay. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »
Hmm, that lends itself to lots of stuff, like roll on bed liner, or silicone gasket maker. Rubber cement maybe?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »
Build the rollers up with Duc Tape.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skarhand

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 02:47:04 pm »
Duct tape will wear out and bleed like stated above. What I would do is if you have any bike tire tubing laying around (since it appears to be favored around here above clamps, lol) just cut yourself a 4 in piece of it and slip it on over the drum. It should hold itself on and provide a non-slippery surface which will help more than duct tape anyway.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »
Use some sections of bike inner tube and sleeve them over the rollers. Get a size that will fit snugly.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »
Sounds like they have you covered Steve

Just a thought does your adjusting shaft have a spring in it that may be wearing down
if not then cover one or both rollers with leather or rubber like has been said and keep going
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »
What often happens is the rubber gets too slick. Use coarse grit sandpaper to roughen up the rubber on the drums so the belt can grip better.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...