Author Topic: Osage Christmas bow is done!  (Read 9970 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Osage Christmas bow is done!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 03:35:42 am »
nice job bud! But please do yourself a favor and the guy who will receive the bow and cut those nocks off and move them down a half inch. you got plenty of length. once again nice job and I hate to bust your chops but those nocks will break

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 04:57:38 am »
Can you get some scraps of wood and do a build along on those tips those are brilliant!
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 10:36:14 am »
Those nocks are going to fail, as a few others have alluded to. Since this bow is going to someone else, give him the best opportunity to enjoy it. Cut some new nocks in, and don't violate the back in doing so............Art

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
Listen to the advice you've been given  ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:30:01 am »
Nice bow, but you are asking for a ring separation at the tips.
Gordon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
I didn't want to rain on yer parade, but I gotta agree with the guys who think these nocks are gonna be trouble. It would sure scare me to pull it back. It does give me some ideas though  >:D Thanks, and still a really nice bow. Doob

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
I'd clue some leather on the tips jn the big grooves. If that Delams it's gonna hurt
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 11:58:48 am »
I forgot. Sweet looking bow.

I just wouldn't want the string digging through the rings. If it gets in a pithy part it's gonna cut like a draw knife
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:08 pm »
Changed the tips and sent it off. I didn't get any pics of the tips tho.  :'(
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »
I like the chinese proverb you quote under your posts....its kind of ironic , considering the comments!  good to be original ....anyone can copy whats been done before....and who knows....they look like they'll break , but maybe they wont...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »
I accidentally cut into the back a bit on the top knock of a sevriceberry bow. The wood is dense, (not quite as much as osage) so i thought it would be fine but what do ya know i went stumping with it and the nock broke right off. I was very lucky it didn't split the wood but i learned my lesson well, wood just can't hold up to that kind of strain.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 02:47:11 pm »
Changed the tips and sent it off. I didn't get any pics of the tips tho.  :'(

Why don't I believe you?  ??? You posted this last night(sat eve),and didnt post again until today(Sunday) ...what shipping service is open on a Sunday?  ??? And what sealer can dry that fast,and be ready to be boxed up? I smell BS   :-X

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »
    Osage is not as strong as hickory or elm when it comes to seperation of growth rings, I am surprised that bow got 2 shots off.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »
I know about that Chinese proverb, thats why I put it there. I always do something like this and people say it can't be done but I do it any way and that's always what I want to teach. Sometimes things don't work out for someone like board bows then everyone turns there nose up to it. Somebody goes and tries a board bow anyways and finds out he can make a good bow from it and now everyone has made probably at least one. Thought it really described my thoughts for bow making   >:D
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 03:29:34 pm »
Plow ahead against the grain if you must. Just please wear safety glasses,OK? And, maybe send a pair out with the bows you send away.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others