Author Topic: Bending Hackberry  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Gaust

Bending Hackberry
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:06 pm »
For those who have worked with hackberry, a question:  Can you bend this wood with dry heat after rubbing with vegetable oil, or is it better to use steam?
George

Offline Arrowind

Re: Bending Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:09 pm »
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gaust

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »
Arrowind, thanks for the link.  I wanted to straighten this stave I'm working on to reduce its deflex limbs.  I'll be sure and round off the edges prior to bending.  But that build along makes me ask another question:  Is it recommended that you toast a hackberry belly, even if it's 1 7/8" inches wide?  I did not think I needed to.
George

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
That seems wide. I bet you could get away with it but toasting it would be playing it safe with possibly better results
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:44:51 pm »
Heat treat the belly and that's not to narrow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:26:15 am »
Arrowind, thanks for the link.  I wanted to straighten this stave I'm working on to reduce its deflex limbs.  I'll be sure and round off the edges prior to bending.  But that build along makes me ask another question:  Is it recommended that you toast a hackberry belly, even if it's 1 7/8" inches wide?  I did not think I needed to.
George

sure.  I have not used hackberry so I won't attempt to comment on what is best dry heat or steam.  I usually go by a general rule though - for big bends use steam for mild bends dry heat (it's faster and you have more control).  Anyway I'd say you'd be fine either way.... As for toasting, you really don't HAVE to toast anything ever if you don't want to.  It is just one more thing you can do to add performance.  I just started heat treating my bows earlier this year and will definitely continue.  I personally really like the results.  It's not so much about the width. If I understand your question correctly - are you asking - If it's wide enough then heat treating isn't needed -  or is it? correct? You don't need to heat treat but if you do you will most likely be glad you did....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline AH

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:38:36 am »
I've found that steaming hackberry turns it to rubber.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:39:00 am »
Hackberry likes to be steam bent,.. or rather, it loves to be steam bent. :) Yes, rounding the edges before bending is a good idea. This wood really is fantastic for steaming recurves.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:36:19 am »
Dry heat is great, leave the oil on your shelf. Keep all that width you can, that isn't too wide. I highly suggest tempering it as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 08:36:23 am »
+1 PD.  Dry heat , no oil (its just easier since you don't have to clean it off), keep your width, temper, temper.  Surprisingly good bow wood if treated properly.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:50:16 am »
Thanks all for your replies.  What do you think about cantilevering 3/4 of each limb off the table with a weight hanging off the end and then applying dry heat to have it bend gently.  I think I can eyeball it till it straightens out.  It won't take much, each has about a 3" deflex right now.
George

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:23 am »
I wont make an even round bend, it will "kink" it odds are.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:14 am »
ive made my share of hack berry bows and ive found it to be alot stronger than some give it credit.it makes a great recurve and molly . ive used dry heat and steam and had great results with both.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:50 am »
I'm going to try and post these photos of the stave so far.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:09 am »
Put a chunk of 2 x 4 under your handle and clamp the tips down. Then temper it. It will give you about 1 1/2" starting reflex. No caul needed, unless you have one of course.