Author Topic: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)  (Read 13959 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
Yes it is. I say year because it is a bunch easier than saying 6 months ago. But it's all the same. It is been dried enough to make a bow.

ummm, 6 months is not the same as a year. and five months since it was cut in july is not the same as six months. just saying.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »
Hey guys we gonna pick apart everything I say or what  :laugh: ;) >:D
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
Yes.

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »
but it would be good to be more careful about who you slag on a public forum unless you're sure. Now, Dave Robertson, on the other hand, at Medicine Bow Wood is a lyin' bastard. Bad wood, bad customer service, bad photo

:laugh: :laugh:

How do i make this my signature!

unless you're sure... that's the important part. Regarding Dave Robertson, I'm sure. First hand experience. Besides, you've taken my quote out of context to suit your purpose... which is what?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:05 am »
but it would be good to be more careful about who you slag on a public forum unless you're sure. Now, Dave Robertson, on the other hand, at Medicine Bow Wood is a lyin' bastard. Bad wood, bad customer service, bad photo

:laugh: :laugh:

How do i make this my signature!

unless you're sure... that's the important part. Regarding Dave Robertson, I'm sure. First hand experience. Besides, you've taken my quote out of context to suit your purpose... which is what?

Think you got the wrong end of the stick there boss.
No offence intended, just made me chuckle, must be pretty bad service by the tone is all I meant.

Go have a beer on me.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 01:26:36 pm »
 :o I thought this was a build along?

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:59 pm »
Same here...Then someone threw in a flaming torch, six monkeys and a gallon of gas.....Could we get back to the building. I have few forms of entertainment and this happens to be one of them...Just kidding...any new progress on the part of the OP??
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline bubby

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 03:38:52 pm »
and now for something completely different, back to the build
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 05:57:46 pm »
Yes there has been some progress. After this Saturday it will be strictly this bow as I have to make a guy in West Virginia his bow for Christmas and I promised him he would get it before Christmas. Here are a few pictures of the limb I heat treated. One area I forgot about(blame me!) and got a little burned but i think it burned more because of the deflex which made it closer to the heat gun. Either way I screwed up but it is just cosmetic won't hurt

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »
Pics. Doesn't look as burned as it did a few days ago. Yay!

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 12:46:27 am »
Did a little shaping today. One limb has 2 big knots in it that widen it quite a bit and I think that is why it is so stiff. Hardly bends and the other bends pretty easy. Here are some pics before I cut the thickness down.

Offline randman

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 06:44:47 pm »
Thickness taper looks good there Bandit (just by reading the reading the grain lines). I'd go slow on reducing the thickness in those areas you show marked. Reduce the thickness too much there and you'll have to continue the taper all the way out. Yew has a way of foolin you and needs more thickness than you would think if you want to maintain any kind of draw weight....Yew is going to be much thicker than a comparable weight Osage or Hick or many other hardwoods so do it gradual.....
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 07:07:52 pm »
Lookin good but when marking out i would use a pencil and a sharp one. rather than a marker. it makes your work alot more acurate. can't wait to see a full draw. and also i would say cut your own wood, then you can't blame anyone but yourself ;) ;D although i also cut some yew in june/july and im not sure it's seasoned  :o
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
Mine I stuck in the attic for awhile after somebody told me it is pretty good to speed dry. I have heat treated, shaped then speed dried, and heat bent it all with it cut into bow shape. I think it is pretty dry  :laugh: I will start cutting trees down and making staves myself. I have a ton of oak, elm, hickory, and hackberry and some mulberry on my land that I will cut down this spring and some this winter. Oak isn't that good for a bow but there is SO much of it I thought I could make some thing work!

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »
Yew is SO easy to bend its nuts! Osage would have to be a 1/4" thick to just bend with this design. This thing is 3/4" and it's bending enough to start tillering almost.