Author Topic: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)  (Read 13960 times)

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 06:55:43 pm »
In all fairness to everyone involved, Maybe the OP should double check his stave source just to clear up any misunderstandings that seem to be building up here...Double check and benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise....Just trying to keep the paece....Rev. Pete
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:54 pm »
I'm going to agree with PD on his take about LaVerne. I've purchased from him for years and your comment about Laverne stating the stave had 30 rpi is way out of character. I've never seen rings per inch discussed in any description that was ever published on any of his listings. That is not and never has been a characteristic of Mr. Bartell's listings.
I consider he and his son Eric friends of the utmost character and your degradation on a public forum has me a little irritated and I may well draw it to his attention.
Also Laverne cuts his wood close to home over in the Missouri River valley of Nebraska area, sells more hedge posts than staves, and has never sold a piece of yew that I am aware of.
I think Mr. Bandit has his suppliers mixed up in fact I'll give you 10-1 odds you do!!!!
Fred

Hold your horses cowboy! ;D I will look back and try to see who I bought it from but if year old memory serves me right, it was him. No promises and I am betting I am wrong too just based off what you said. I didn't mean to start any fighting, it's probably just a misunderstanding. I will look back just to get this cleared out. Whoever I bought it from really made me mad though with him doing that. Couldn't believe somebody would lie and still have 100% feedback!

"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »
Interesting bow. Any pics of it being drawn?

It's not tillered beyond floor tillering. I just got the backing dry. I am leaving it a few days to rehydrate and then I will get bak to some serous tillering. Looks cool so far and yew is so much easier to work then osage! Feels like rasping butter!

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 11:21:56 pm »
Seems as though the guy I bought it from goes by the name burl.quilt. I am sure it was him. Sorry for the confusion, I can't remember if I bought another stave from LE? I can't remember for some reason my memory wants to blame him.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:26 pm »
That is the proprietor of medicine wood bows or something like that. I've gotten yew from him before and was very displeased. I would get yew that was shorter than originally described. Needless to say I get my yew from Echo Archery and cut my own.

You should probably edit your opening statement.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:25 am »
Is this the stave you're working on?  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43162.0.html.   If so, your memory is worse than mine!   That ain't good!  By the time you get my age, you won't remember your own name!  Josh

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:01 am »
Yes it is. I say year because it is a bunch easier than saying 6 months ago. But it's all the same. It is been dried enough to make a bow.

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:15 am »
I am deeply sorry for blaming LE enterprises for that. And doc, it has been a crazy few months. I have made like 9 bows and am rushing to get a guys bow done for Christmas so I have not had my head on straight for a while  :laugh:

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 01:20:57 am »
Yes it is. I say year because it is a bunch easier than saying 6 months ago. But it's all the same. It is been dried enough to make a bow.

Do you have a cousin in England?   Seems like we have been down this road before.  ::)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:17 am »
That is the proprietor of medicine wood bows or something like that. I've gotten yew from him before and was very displeased. I would get yew that was shorter than originally described. Needless to say I get my yew from Echo Archery and cut my own.

You should probably edit your opening statement.

X2 !........didn't you say he was replacing your wood for free???
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:36:59 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okie64

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 08:53:21 am »
I am deeply sorry for blaming LE enterprises for that. And doc, it has been a crazy few months. I have made like 9 bows and am rushing to get a guys bow done for Christmas so I have not had my head on straight for a while  :laugh:

Slow down! Patience is your best friend in bowbuilding. The sooner you figure that out the easier it will be.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 09:41:18 am »
I'm glad to see you straightened that out.  I also agree with Okie, don't burn yourself out.  It's real easy to do. Josh

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:38 am »
I'm going to agree with PD on his take about LaVerne. I've purchased from him for years and your comment about Laverne stating the stave had 30 rpi is way out of character. I've never seen rings per inch discussed in any description that was ever published on any of his listings. That is not and never has been a characteristic of Mr. Bartell's listings.
I consider he and his son Eric friends of the utmost character and your degradation on a public forum has me a little irritated and I may well draw it to his attention.
Also Laverne cuts his wood close to home over in the Missouri River valley of Nebraska area, sells more hedge posts than staves, and has never sold a piece of yew that I am aware of.
I think Mr. Bandit has his suppliers mixed up in fact I'll give you 10-1 odds you do!!!!
Fred

A big +1 on that!! Mr. L. Bartels is a stand up guy. I've purchased dozens of staves from him and his son, and they've always been good quality. I had a problem with a couple of elm staves once, and he immediately replaced them at no charge. And he does NOT sell yew. You did apologise, but it would be good to be more careful about who you slag on a public forum unless you're sure. Now, Dave Robertson, on the other hand, at Medicine Bow Wood is a lyin' bastard. Bad wood, bad customer service, bad photos. I complained about a yew stave I bought, and he basically told me to pi$$ off. It was not the stave he advertised. I will not purchase anything from him ever, and I'll gladly tell others why.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:37:25 am by adb »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 12:00:21 pm »
but it would be good to be more careful about who you slag on a public forum unless you're sure. Now, Dave Robertson, on the other hand, at Medicine Bow Wood is a lyin' bastard. Bad wood, bad customer service, bad photo

:laugh: :laugh:

How do i make this my signature!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »

Do you have a cousin in England?   Seems like we have been down this road before.  ::)

lmao right?!?!? i just dont get it.