Author Topic: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)  (Read 13958 times)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:11:38 am »
I have a yew flatbow and I am going to try my first build along or a few pictures and some info(depends what I feel like  >:D) the bow is a pacific yew flatbow and it had some sapwood fungus and was very low density. What I learned is not to buy any stave on ebay. Burl.quilt on ebay doesn't know what he is doing. It is 64" long, had 6" deflex and I heated that into 1" reflex and the other one was already 1" reflex. Fairly straight and has quite a few knots. I backed it with linen used tb2. I am planning on painting the back and yes, I DID back it using linen fibers just to go "primitive". Never doing that again  O:). That sucked and I wasn't amazingly impressed with the results but it wasn't too bad. No air pockets just some lumps. I am doing my regular handle with the thumb piece made out of ipe and osage and this will be an off hand bow because I seem to shoot better with them. Going to try a few knew things and some stuff I haven't seen anyone do before. Planning on horn and osage tips. Shooting for 55-65# @ 26", somewhere in that ballpark. I will post pictures tomorrow morning. I will post some pics of me heat treating tomorrow too. Still very stiff and won't be able to work on it until I finish up a buddy's Christmas present. Any more info you guys want just ask.

Nicely ;D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:56:49 am by wood_bandit 99 »
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

Re: Yew flatbow build along(bear with me LOL)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »
Pics of heat treating, pics of my style grip with the thumb rest. No, it's not a left handed bow with a rest, it is a right handed bow and I found out that the thumb rest is just one more thing to lock your hand in place so your arrow isn't higher or lower every time you shoot. And pics of the backing.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:25:31 pm »
On the second picture up from the bottom, what are those lines I'm seeing across the bow?

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »
From the plant fiber cordage I wrapped around the linen backing as I was backing it. Just to be more authentic

Offline Centerless

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:07 pm »
Is it all heartwood, can't tell if I'm seeing any sapwood under the backing?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:44 pm »
Heat-treating after backing?  Wow, you are brave
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:35 pm »
Yes there is a little sapwood under the backing but had to back it because it had a fungus.

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:34:45 pm »

I am too impatient and backed it before I tempered it ::) and I you mean I am retarded.... And I will take that as a compliment! >:D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »

I am too impatient and backed it before I tempered it ::) and I you mean I am retarded.... And I will take that as a compliment! >:D

I didn't say it  ::)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »

I didn't say it  ::)

Lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:01:21 am »

What do you know about heat treating anyway Marc St Louis ??????
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »
I have bought a lot of staves from LE enterprises over the years.  In every case, the stave was very accurately described  in measurements, twist and character with high quality pics depicting every pertinent detail.  LaVerne is not a bowyer nor does he claim to be.  But he is quite knowledgeable of what bowyers expect in a stave and makes every effort to meet those expectations.  Don't blame him for your inattention to pics and description details before you bid.  Josh

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 06:20:27 pm »
I have bought a lot of staves from LE enterprises over the years.  In every case, the stave was very accurately described  in measurements, twist and character with high quality pics depicting every pertinent detail.  LaVerne is not a bowyer nor does he claim to be.  But he is quite knowledgeable of what bowyers expect in a stave and makes every effort to meet those expectations.  Don't blame him for your inattention to pics and description details before you bid.  Josh

Sorry not to come off rude, but that guy I got it from said it was a nice stave,73" long, no twist, 4" deflex, not dried and about 30 gpi. I get it and it is at most 21 gpi and it had two pictures, one was a far off shot and another was the end of the stave without any ruler so I ha no idea. Got it for $100 shipped but had almost all sapwood fungus and was very wavy and had a ton of knots that he didn't say anything about. Maybe I got it from somebody else but I remember it as LE enterprises.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 06:40:19 pm »
Interesting bow. Any pics of it being drawn?
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »
I'm going to agree with PD on his take about LaVerne. I've purchased from him for years and your comment about Laverne stating the stave had 30 rpi is way out of character. I've never seen rings per inch discussed in any description that was ever published on any of his listings. That is not and never has been a characteristic of Mr. Bartell's listings.
I consider he and his son Eric friends of the utmost character and your degradation on a public forum has me a little irritated and I may well draw it to his attention.
Also Laverne cuts his wood close to home over in the Missouri River valley of Nebraska area, sells more hedge posts than staves, and has never sold a piece of yew that I am aware of.
I think Mr. Bandit has his suppliers mixed up in fact I'll give you 10-1 odds you do!!!!
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.