Author Topic: Ipe Dust.......What the !!!!!!!!!  (Read 11341 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
Ipe Dust.......What the !!!!!!!!!
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:32:24 am »
Hi all
Its mt first time working with Ipe......What the heck is going on with the dust?!?!?!?
Here is a pic

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Ipe Dust.......What the !!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:16:27 am »
Are you sure you haven't been picking your nose >:D.
Dunno, not used the stuff myself,  but some woods do look much different when freshly cut e.g Osage... bright yellow :)
Just don't lick it ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:35:36 am »
  Not unusual, caught me off guard also. Bothers my sinuses very bad.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:41:40 am »
Wear a mask and hook up some sort of dust collection. Most things don't bother me but ipe dust is bad news.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:50:46 am »
Long sleeves arent a bad plan. The sweat on your arms can make it stick to you, its nasty stuff. But used the right way, its a great bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 09:09:34 am »
Sometimes it's red dust
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12:25 am »
Some pieces are worse than others.  Doesn't bother me at all but wearing a mask is a good idea regardless.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 09:13:26 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o......the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this was the SciFi channel.  Or is this guy playing some kind of prank?  can you tell I've never used ipe?   That is so strange........but cool.     In a strange way.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:29:36 am »
  Mark, I have had yellow, rusty red, moss green. brown. All of it bothers my respiratory.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:45:04 am »
A friend put his first piece of Ipe to a belt sander and had such a violent allergic reaction he passed out cold. I have never used the stuff as I tend to react negatively when exposed to some wood sawdusts.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:00:23 am »
     I may have to quit woodworking at some point. I only use hand tools on osage and still get sneezing fits at night that might last an hour every time I work on it which is almost every day.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:59 pm »
You've all got me a bit worried now........
I use a mask and dust extraction system.....no problems yet, but I am an asthmatic so time will tell.
Most people I know use it as a core lamination so there is less dust than if its the belly and you are continually working it.
I've got three bows to make using it as the belly. I have to admit it, I don't really like it.......I also find it damn hard to rasp/ scrape etc.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »
  I use mostly a sharp scraper on ipe. If you are confident with the belt sander just take it down till it starts to be bend a tad then go to the scraper.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:52 pm »
The first thing I thought is "is he putting it under a black light?" Some woods glow über it but it sounds like they are many colors. Osage and yew give me coughing fits and yew completely blocks up my sinuses. I work on osage and yew so much, more osage, that I swear I have a few POUNDS circulating in my blood. Time will tell if I die young or if I turn into "osage man" yellow skin,hair,and eyes with yellow liquid wood blood.  8) when I work on yew with just hand tools I have major coughing fits and feel sick for awhile after working on it.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:12:03 pm »
I think you will find most wood dust is bad for you. Stuff like Tamarac causes eye cancer, Laurel has so much cyanide in it you can kill yourself trimming a hedge of the stuff. Cherry is the same, my workshop is full of green cherry i'm processing at the moment and the smell that hits you when you open the door in the morning is very strong indeed. Yew is another really nasty one. That said I think our immune systems are so under worked these days what with all the antibiotics and disinfectant sprays, a little bit of organic poison every now and again may actually be good for you.

Disclaimer: I in no way indorse or encourage the wanton use wood for medical purposes. Also some wood may be addictive.  >:D