Author Topic: Newbie tillering  (Read 3541 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Newbie tillering
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »
So, I personally start at the last 1/3 of the limb tillering working back tward the fade.....I have seen newbies tiller (or try)starting at the fades, eventually folding the bow.....so how do the rest of you tiller. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bow101

Re: Newbie tillering
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:49 pm »
Depends what you mean by start..?  I rough it out yada...yada.... then work on it mostly in the limb centers, getting it to floor tiller stage and take it from there.   Usually leave the fades till near the end.  If I tiller some other way I would end up with a kids bow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:08 pm »
That's what I mean YADDA YADDA... :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
To be more specific, the start for me is all over........ so no specific spot.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:08 pm »
well usually, one the bow is at the floor tillered stage i put away the knife and take out the rasp. With the rasp start shaving down the center or tips, then move toward the handle. eventually when the taper is correct, to get the weight right take equal shavings down the whole rim. get stiff spots out by rasping them
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:26 pm »
To be more specific, the start for me is all over........ so no specific spot.

For the most part same here I just gett it as even as possible over the entire limb during floor tiller
I like osage

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:54 pm »
I get it bending a little in outer and inner 3rd and more in the middle 3rd. I think, I don't really pay attention to how it bends I just look for a pretty good bend at first floor tiller and then do a few inch long string and then short string from 8"- however many inches I want. That's how I tiller
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »
i measure out my thickness taper(varies depending on the amount of crown) make the brace look as good as I can, then i do the same. start at the last 1/3 (or 2/3) mark and work my way in towards the handle.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:41:12 am by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:37 am »
I try to make my first string the last string.

That is, I try to nail the floor tiller so there are no adjustments to make at low brace, and then move on to the short string and still have no adjustments to make. Every adjustment/re-stringing I have to perform is a point against myself, like golf. So far my par is probably around ten, but my best was a three.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:23:22 am »
ELB or Warbow. (from a stave)
Rough it out to approx dimensions. Get a fairly even thickness taper.
Put on a string which will just get on the stave, pull  to see if it's fairly even flex, using upto max draw weight.
Look and see how it bends, remove wood where appropriate. As a rule I like to see a bit of movement in the inner third, then I work outwards.
Once the tips are coming back about 6-7" shorten the string with Del's magic string toggle :laugh: and continue to tiller.
This method gets you bending at a higher weight than maybe necessary, but when working a stave you need the leeway as you will doubtless have dips, knots and allignment problems to work around. If you are too close to final weight too early you'll have no room for manouver.
I reckon it's especially true of a warbow, if you can flex it on the floor, you may be too weak already!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:07:16 am »
Floor tiller,then middle 2/3 or so then as I get closer to draw and weightI move toward the fads,I usuall leave the last 6 or 8 inches stiff on mine so I just try and keep that caught up close to the rest of the limb as I go along.never measure or lay out any limb tapper,I let the wood tell me that. On a pyramid I try and get an even limb thickness to start off and go from there.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:13 am »
I apply the appropriate taper (I don't do a lot of pyramid bows) per limb design and let that produce the desired tiller/profile instead of tillering a little bit here or there to produce a taper. Long string sometimes to bleed off weight at brace height and then on to a permanent string reducing for weight mostly.......Art

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 09:14:31 am »
I tiller via miracles... In other words, I start with a scraper and random orbital sander, and I pretend that I know what I'm doing...
Remove wood where it's not bending enough, and stay away from areas where it's bending too much.
It's like this for me: If it doesn't bend enough, it's a flat spot. If it bends too much, it's a hinge. If it's got a good bend, it's a miracle.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:07 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D now that was funny histanley.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:22 am »
;D ;D ;D ;D now that was funny histanley.  ;)
   Pappy

It would be funny if it wasn't true!!!  :o
Oh, well...  There's folks on here whose AWESOME Woodworking Ninja skills would permit them to make a bow out of an old piece of driftwood... I'm still at the point of "getting the feel" of things, and that process involves a LOT of failures mixed in with some successes, followed by celebratory dinners!

The first time that I made a bow that could actually shoot, I was so excited that I made a noise that my wife said sounded like a giggly little school girl. I still get excited when I make a bow that shoots, but since that first embarrasing episode I now follow the acronym: S-L-A-W... That is - Scream Like A Woman.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3