Author Topic: BL stave...  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Blaflair2

BL stave...
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:25:08 am »
 I would like to thank pat b for this stave of BL from toms stash I was told. This thing is hard as a rock. I've been chasing a ring for on and off 4 hrs. And I'm about a quarter of the way up. I'm about to use my belt sander. Rings are almost completely flat. So here's to hoping I don't mess this one up.

It's about 3" thick and 4" wide, a little twist but not too much to scare me.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: BL stave...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:40:46 am »
I love it when I find rings like this, seems like just the right balance between compression/tension strength throughout the stave, especially if you trap the flat ones like this.

hint hint  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:59:22 am »
that is one gorgeous stave :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:16:25 am »
Don't be taking that thing to a belt sander to run a ring cus u lost your patience in trying to learn how to run a ring....you just need more practice is all....in the hands of the experienced a stave like that can be easily chased within ten minutes easy,and that's being lenient ....don't give up and try using power tools because a drawknife is actually a hundred times faster...we've all been in your shoes..the first attempt at a bow was with a 15 year old seasoned ossge stave with the sapwood still on and it had twist n knots and such(not a beginner stave at all),and it took me prob close to 13+ hours to chase a ring....I had no internet help,no one in person to teach,and one lil book...it was tedious and yes I lost my patience a few times.....it just takes practice and you'll have to go thru several+ staves to be more efficient at it and it will get better....I can now run a ring on a stave like that with no sapwood to remove in a few minutes easy

Nice stave  8)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:55:14 am »
I was just kidding about the belt sander lol. But it's hard as a rock and it's cold out. Not a good mixture for my wrists

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:05 am »
And there's no way u could chase this ring in ten minutes.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00:06 am »
Also it has sapwood on it still, it's easy chasing the ring. Just hard getting the wood to cut. I sharpened my draw knife and everything. I work on it a bit then put it away. It'll get done. Somedsy

Offline Greenman1867

• Greenman's Hearth & Homestead
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:04:20 am »
Okay I checked the glossary, but no joy there.

I am going to take a shot in the dark, and guess that "chasing a ring" is trying to make the back of your stave one continious growth ring? Is that what is meant by chasing a ring?
Complete and utter primitive archery rookie.......

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:16:49 am »
Yes. Cutting down to one continuous non violated ring.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
That is some sweet locust Blaflair. Yeah the sapwood is tough but you'll find once thats off ring chasing isn't all that difficult. Just take your time and have a good light source to help determine where your at at all times. That piece of black locust looks so good that you could make a heck of a bow out of it. Take your time shaping it, reducing the belly and tillering when you get to it and you'll have a killer bow.

Yes, You got it right Greenman.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:22 am »
Don't be taking that thing to a belt sander to run a ring cus u lost your patience in trying to learn how to run a ring....you just need more practice is all....in the hands of the experienced a stave like that can be easily chased within ten minutes easy,and that's being lenient ....don't give up and try using power tools because a drawknife is actually a hundred times faster...we've all been in your shoes..the first attempt at a bow was with a 15 year old seasoned ossge stave with the sapwood still on and it had twist n knots and such(not a beginner stave at all),and it took me prob close to 13+ hours to chase a ring....I had no internet help,no one in person to teach,and one lil book...it was tedious and yes I lost my patience a few times.....it just takes practice and you'll have to go thru several+ staves to be more efficient at it and it will get better....I can now run a ring on a stave like that with no sapwood to remove in a few minutes easy

Nice stave  8)

Easy for you to say . these young wippersnappers anyway !

Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:29:23 am »
The stave is 8 yrs or older pat said. I know it has a heck of a bow in it. Just trying to Knaw one out is some work! I plan on heat treating the snot out of the belly once it's time. Not sure what design I'm going for. It's 68" long. But I was thinking of a bendy handle with a handle build up like pearly posted recently. Something about feeling the bow working in your hands. It's going to be a nice flat bow. I wanna go simple but I also wanna go for it. Lol so final plans not there yet

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 11:11:38 am »
I'm no BL expert but that sure looks pretty so far. You are gonna have an excellent bow there someday I think  ;) Keep up the good work man!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:53 am »
Nice looking stave,and please take Blackhawks advice on the belt sander thing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:43 am »
And there's no way u could chase this ring in ten minutes.

Wanna make a bet on that?  >:D ...n there's s lot of guys on here who know me personally and have built bows with me,and I bet they wouldn't make that bet against me  8) ..call me cocky and arrogant,but I know I'm right  :-X  :laugh: