Author Topic: Another OS question Tiller check please  (Read 5637 times)

Don Case

Another OS question Tiller check please
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:42 pm »
I'm just starting the serious tillering on this Ocean Spray. The left arrow is a little deflex and the right arrow is a little reflex. The middle arrow is, well, the middle. I glued that little wedge on to level the tips when it's on the tree. I will cut it off later. The deflex on one side and the reflex on the other is causing my brain to seize up when I try to see the tiller. There is too much bend to draw a line down the side. I'm wondering if I should steam it straight or should I just man up and try to see the forest through the trees. Keep in mind this is my secondish bow. My first was a little OS that I worked to death.
Thanks
Don
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:42:32 pm by Don C »

Offline aaron

Re: Another OS question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:08:56 pm »
it's not too crooked to draw a line down the side- you just need to use a bunch of short lines. here's how I do it. make a series of short lines about 6 inches long, then check each line individually. I check them using a straightedge, rather than just my eye. I'm jealous of all this nice OS you have!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »
here's a pic of me measuring a short line on a wavy bow- I used a steel scraper to draw the line and now i'm holding that same scraper up to the bow when bent. I can judge the ammount of bend by looking at (or even measuring) the space in between the midpoints. this is an OS bow too.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
A picture explains it mucho better. :D

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:15:35 am »
Keep it coming. I have a stave that looks almost exactly like that so I will be watching. Thanks, Doob

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »
I used Aarons method and it worked nicely but I just couldn't get the tiller to 'look' even. I think it actually is but it just looks funny. Anyway I steamed a little deflex out of the left side so I'll let it sit for a bit and then continue on. I'm not sure if the steamed bend will last but we'll see. I had it to a low brace(before steaming) but because of the two kinks I had 0 brace on one side and 2" on the other.
Don

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:53:03 pm »
Here's the BEST solution for problem staves!   ;)
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:13 pm »
NAHHH! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Don Case

Re: Another OS question(tiller check)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
How does this look? I'm reasonably pleased I think, I need approval :-\  It's about 35# at 20". I'm almost ashamed to admit that's about as far as I can pull it. I need to pump up.
Thanks
Don

Offline aaron

Re: Another OS question Tiller check please
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 04:45:39 pm »
looks dang good to me , don. These wavy staves never "look" tillered, that's why drawing the lines is so important. the lines don't lie. Why guess tiller when you can measure it?!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 05:18:47 pm »
A touch more bend mid limb right side?
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »
Left side is the top and it has 1/4" positive tiller(only because that's where I stopped, not through some great plan)
Don

Offline steve b.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »
Looking good, Don.  Good for you. 

The right limb is starting to take a set.  That doesn't surprise me because all the bending is mid limb.  The fade is stiff and the outer limb could bend some more.  Its kinda hard to tell because I can't see where your handle begins and ends.  You could shoot it just the way it is and if the bow is happy then you should be.  If that is full draw and its at the weight you want, and it shoots happy, then call it good.  Otherwise I would loosen up those stiff spots.

Its good to flip the bow around and look at the profile from the other side.  And/or to pull the bow by hand, right and then left, looking in a mirror.

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 06:16:24 pm »
The stave was originally about 8" longer and had a handle but there was a flaw or two and I cut one end off. That meant the handle had to go. I'm still undecided about what to do . I'm thinking a leather or cork riser. I hesitated tillering the center because I thought if it stayed stiff enough I could glue on a wooden riser. I don't think that's going to happen because I think I can feel the handle bend a bit.
Don

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »
Don, measure and find the center of the bow.  Measure out two inches on each side of that mark.  That's your handle.  Maybe wrap a strip of duct tape around each end of the handle so we can see it in the pics.  But your thickness taper should be about even on each limb up to that handle mark.  Slope the limb thickness up to the handle in about two or three inches.  Should be about the same on both limbs.  Don't thin that 4" handle area at this point, leave it stiff.