Author Topic: Anybody tried "Roasted" Lumber?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Anybody tried "Roasted" Lumber?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23:29 pm »
Well, I do have a nice long maple board.  I could cut it down to 2 mini bows, throw one in the oven, and try tosimulate the process.
. Keep the the other standard. Worst case: I end up with kids bow and one broken bow.  I will get on this.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 09:49:31 am »
I have worked with this wood some and I'm not sure I would invest a lot of time or money just to see if it would make a bow, I have serious doubts.  The process is used mainly for instruments as mentioned earlier.  My experience is with it being used as a neck wood, curly and Birdseye maple.  The cooking process actually caramelizes the sugars in the wood which gives it a consistent color throughout.  I have tried to use this wood as a handle on a bow and haven't had much luck with it taking glue.  I've also had the wood check very bad after leaving it unsealed in board form.  It is a cool looking wood though. 

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 12:40:24 pm »
Interesting.  It just seems so similar to heat treating(albeit for a much longer time and much more uniform) that I think I should try it.  I never thought about it not taking glue. I wonder why that would be?

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:48 pm »
I'm not sure why it wouldn't take glue.  I tried TB and a two part epoxy, Gorrilla brand I think.  Urac or smoothon may work.  I know Fender Guitars uses the cooked wood for necks and they must have something to hold the fret board on.  The wood I have is very slow grown, dense Birdseye maple.  It would be interesting to know if you can make it work.  You got me curious now.  I may have to go test some tonight.