Author Topic: Takedowns - Sleeves: Metal, F&^*glass, 3pc Pros/cons  (Read 5548 times)

Offline steelslinger

Re: Takedowns - Sleeves: Metal, F&^*glass, 3pc Pros/cons
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »
Echo archery sells nice sleeves. I just made a yew take-down with them. Yes it takes some time to get the metal parts fitting right, but it would also take a pretty good shot to mess up the outer steel sleeve.  From what I have heard the sleeves that Echo sells are preferred over the 3rivers version.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
Steelslinger,

Any way you could post a photo of what your bow looks like with the T/D sleeves from Echo? Their website appears to be broken and is not showing any photos right now. I have a couple Hackberry staves that each taper from wide to narrow and the narrow ends of both have a propeller twist to them. Rather than mess about with trying to straighten both staves, I'm just going to cut them both down to 36" and make billets. I was thinking of doing a T/D instead of splicing.

Matt

Offline steve b.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 12:22:01 am »
http://echoarchery.com/bow-making-supplies

I didn't have any trouble with Echo's site.  Scroll down here and see the sleeves.  I bought at least one from Echo and was happy.  They all look a like but I think the one's Echo carries are the better quality.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 02:07:03 am »
Sorry to hear the website was down, not sure what that was about. 

The sleeves I carry are from the original maker.  I carry them because I wasnt happy with the fit of the one I ordered from the big distributor.  These fit much better and include two brass ferrules. 

BTW, Bryce, your t/d crabapple has a very nice fit thanks again for such a beautiful, finely crafted bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 03:11:35 am »
Sorry to hear the website was down, not sure what that was about. 

The sleeves I carry are from the original maker.  I carry them because I wasnt happy with the fit of the one I ordered from the big distributor.  These fit much better and include two brass ferrules. 

BTW, Bryce, your t/d crabapple has a very nice fit thanks again for such a beautiful, finely crafted bow.

Your very welcome:) I know one of the brass fittings I hit with the rasp a couple times and has some scars but seemed to fit just fine:)

Well I got the sleeves from Richard Dykoff :) same ones you sell.

There very nicely fitted sleeves. And Richard uses the right materials for the job.
Now that Iam out I need to order more from echo :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:15:54 am by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 07:06:23 am »
So while we're on the topic, shall we talk about the different options for each of the options?

Such as, for a two piece, sleeved takedown you can make the sleeve from rawhide, steel or fiberglass.

Also two piece (or four, if you're Fiddler 49) can be accomplished by overlapping two limbs at the handle, putting pins through and binding tightly.

For three piece, there is of course bolting the limbs to the riser. But there's a lot of ways to do this I'm sure, though I don't know the names or options for fasteners. I'm interested to hear what people have used. I did recently successfully resuscitate another thread where tee-nuts were used to good effect.

edited to add: Of course there is also the option of having bolts go right through the riser too.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 07:14:48 am by Aussie Yeoman »
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:16 am »
I don't have any close up pics of the take-down it's self, but I can get you one if you need it.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42724.msg572982.html#msg572982

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »
What are peoples opinions on fitting each limb with the ferrule or just fitting the top limb permanently to the bigger sleeve sans brass ferrule? Using the ferrule just for the bottom limb?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 11:46:19 am »
Even though I have made several takedowns ( 3 and 2 piece ) I personally don't care for them and don't use any of them for hunting or target shooting.  I made them more out of curiosity.  They can be useful if you want to make use of broken bows though.  Of the two I would opt for the 3 piece.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »
Good to know -  thanks Marc.