Author Topic: Gaining deflex after sinew ?  (Read 9664 times)

Offline DuBois

Gaining deflex after sinew ?
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »
I sinewed an ERC last night. Checked it this morning and it had gained deflex over an inch? Kinda weird? It had 1/2" reflex when sinewed. I weighted it down promptly. No big deal I guess but it got me wondering what would cause it. Moisture?
Ever seen this before?

Online sleek

Re: Gaining deflex after sinew ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »
Maybe the wood is overpowering the layer of sinew you applied. How many layers did you apply? I would try to get it to reflex before adding more sinew, but I can see a deflexed sinew bow ( inexperience talking here, bring out the salt shaker ) working great, especially with recurved tips or siyahs...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »
Yes moisture !
You want to tie it down, or reverse string it before you start !

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »
I'd say it was the moisture going into the wood that caused the bow go into deflex after adding the sinew. If you string the bow backwards before adding the sinew, but only a few inches, it will help the reflex in the finished bow.  You should notice the deflex lessen and reflex increase as the sinew and bow dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:51 pm »
that has happened to me before.
I'd suggest that you just leave it and as the sinew dries it'll pull the bow into some reflex.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »
I think its cool hearing stuff like this. Ive done a bunch of sinewed bows using 3 different woods over the years and none did that. None of them gained a lick of reflex either. Yet we hear about both situations happening often. Just goes to show you how it can vary so much.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »
that has happened to me before.
I'd suggest that you just leave it and as the sinew dries it'll pull the bow into some reflex.

Yeah, I decided to just leave it alone and see what it does.
I think its cool hearing stuff like this. Ive done a bunch of sinewed bows using 3 different woods over the years and none did that. None of them gained a lick of reflex either. Yet we hear about both situations happening often. Just goes to show you how it can vary so much.
I had never known this could happen, all I heard of was gaining reflex. Took probly a minute to get my jaw off the floor this morning  :o. Good to know it's not just my sinewing method.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »
Did you size the back the day before with hide glue mister?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:28:36 pm »
I sized it, but only a couple hours before but it was dry since I had it in the room with the wood stove after sizing.

Hey Kevin, how ya doin man?  I put on 2 fairly thick layers ending 5" from tips.

Online sleek

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:37 pm »
Doin ok bro. Busy as an insomniac beaver. Havent had time to touch the horn and bone you sent me. I have thought about it though. How did the honey locust work out for you I sent you?

Hey, by the way, does Santa need to send you a camera for Christmas? Cause this thread AINT GOT NO STINKIN PICS!

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »
  The back of the bow absorbed water and expanded while the belly did not, I am sure it is only temporary while the moisture reaches its equalibrium. The sinew will continue to shrink as it dries and the back and belly will soon become the same moisture content.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »
Doin ok bro. Busy as an insomniac beaver. Havent had time to touch the horn and bone you sent me. I have thought about it though. How did the honey locust work out for you I sent you?

Hey, by the way, does Santa need to send you a camera for Christmas? Cause this thread AINT GOT NO STINKIN PICS!
Actually, I just got a new camera thanks to my 3 year old son who decided to give the old one a toss across the room onto the tiles.

Still got the locust n my stash...someday I gotta get after it;definitely has potential  >:D
This thing went from 1/2" reflex to total of 4" deflex by this afternoon and seems to have stopped tonight. No before pic but here's the recent bend. Let me make sure I explained this right. The handle was 1/2" off the wall and tips touching wall when held with back to wall before sinew. Next day the tips were each 2" from wall with handle touching. That would be 4 and 1/2" change.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:40:34 am by DuBois »

Online sleek

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:51 pm »
Ohhhhh mama... lookin forward to seeing this complete! I'm lovin the way that looks even though it seems to go the wrong way.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 01:23:54 am »
Ohhhhh mama... lookin forward to seeing this complete! I'm lovin the way that looks even though it seems to go the wrong way.
Yeah, I had to mess with this for some reason...I'll keep ya posted.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:23:51 am »
Tie it into reflex now!!!!
I agree with the wood absorbing the moisture but if it keeps going this way it'll be ready to string in a couple of days......
It's a good idea to tie the bow into reflex (or heat treat it) before sinewing. Remember that sinew can stretch 8 times more than the wood so there is no way it'll break. The reflex means at least you are using some more of it's potential compared to it being put on a straight bow.....or a deflexed one  >:D