Author Topic: Least favored task  (Read 8512 times)

Offline adb

Re: Least favored task
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 10:16:04 am »
Making strings. Absolutely no doubt. Hate it.  :(

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:51 am »
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »
JW, I understand the shooting thing.  I don't like target practice.  And I hate it when I lose and arrow.  Breaking an arrow is fine... I can tolerate that. But losing one drives me nuts.

However, I thoroughly enjoy shooting at living, moving critters.   >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 02:47:01 pm »
With a bad case of tendonitis in my right arm, I have a ready made excuse to not shoot the bow this year.  However, last nite I ran across my archery buck tag and immediately remembered the $35 it cost me.  Maybe I need to go down to a lighter bow and get SOME shooting done.  *sigh*
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 02:53:19 pm »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »
Waiting for wood to dry is absolutely the worst in my opinion I also hate everything about making arrows there not fun like making a bow is
I like osage

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:14 am »
I'm surprised at how many folks hate making strings and arrows. Heck, if you guys want your strings and arrows, send me the materials and I'll make em up for ya. I'll do Flemish twist strings in whatever color combo you want (with serving), and I'll make your arrows for you with whatever fletching, crown, and/or cresting you want. Just send some quality staves my way!  ;D  I enjoy almost all aspects of making a bow and producing the various archery tackle. I find making strings to be kinda relaxing because it's this repetitive thing I'm just doing with my hands. Arrows I enjoy for much the same reason. It's a process, and I enjoy going through the different stages. If there's one thing I could say I don't enjoy - it would probably be tillering, mostly because I seem to always start out heavy and so it takes a long time to get a bow tillered well and at the weight I want. For me, I've always obsessed about  the various designs and different woods, so I think I've always been impatient to try new things. I'd barely finish one bow before I was planning the next grandiose adventure.

Offline Japbow

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 09:07:40 am »

@outlaw:
      I never tried a ferrier's rasp. Have you tried a Shinto?
      I'd love to upgrade to whatever will do the job the
      quickest. Then again, I don't even have a proper
      draw knife yet...

Japbow.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 11:52:12 am »
My least favorite part of bow making is the lumberjack part, cutting trees and dragging them out of the woods. I'm surprised at how many don't like the finish work. That's the best part, that means it's a bow and all that's left is to pretty it up.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »
Strings, and looking at wood I can't cut...because I don't have permission.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Don Case

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »
I just got permission to cut on 320 acres of little swamp after little swamp, each one with lots of Pacific Crab.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2013, 07:39:27 pm »
Splitting elm
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »
Roughing out a stave before tillering. If floor tillered blanks grew on trees I would be one happy guy.

Jon
+1
and def cleaning up and prepping staves... and drying and waiting and bark removal!!!!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Marks

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:12 am »
Its not a task but I'm not enjoying my lack of experience. My first bow broke as soon as I got it done and before I could put an arrow thru it and now I'm paranoid about my second one. My paranoia is making it hard for me to work on the bow. I will go out and tiller for a little while and then lose confidence, go back in the house, and not touch it again for a few weeks sometimes. Right now I'm at 45#@24" but my last one blew soon after full draw and I can't bring my self to finish it. I keep telling myself I'm going to go see Eric Krewson and let him look it over and make sure everything looks good but its hard to make the time. So I guess my least favored task is each new task I come to at the moment because I don't know what I'm doing. I haven't even thought about arrows yet but from what I read on here the worst may be yet to come. haha

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 01:22:04 pm »
x3 on the strings. I turn into a fumble fingered clutz everytime...