Author Topic: Least favored task  (Read 8511 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Least favored task
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »
I'm surprised by how many people don't like making strings.  That doesn't bother me at all.  I understand the arrow making though.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »
I guess I agree with the string haters sometimes. I like to make one string at a time. Any more than that and I don't enjoy it. Problem is I only hit my target length about half the time, so I usually end up making two or three at time before I get one that fits. And I must make all my bows similar length because no matter how many extras I make, I never have one that is the right size!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 04:21:30 pm »
I do love the way Osage and Tung Oil smell together while Heat Treating...
Smells even better than Ole Regular Gasoline...
I used to Love that smell as a child...

Hmmm... maybe that part of what's wrong with me.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 04:57:52 pm »
i actually like making strings now, im really good with a reverse flemish twist. the key is to use those tiny irwin clamps to hold the string, after that all your doing is twisting.

Don Case

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »
I hate crashing through the brush to find a nice Pacific Crab, carrying it home for an hour and then splitting it and having 180 degrees of twist in it. But I toughed it out, roughed it out and clamped it to a 2x8. Now I can forget about it for a year. At least I've got Ocean Spray. It splits straight every time--so far.
Don

Offline bow101

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »
Some interesting stuff on here, I would probably have to consider sanding a strong second as far as un-likeable tasks.  Have not done enough bowyering to actually call waiting a bad one, mabe after I have built 30-50 bows and mastered the skill somewhat.. All in all its fun, addicting, challenging and very humbling.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 08:01:41 pm »
I'm surprised by how many people don't like making strings.  That doesn't bother me at all.  I understand the arrow making though.

i'm with you Clint, strings are pretty easy, I just make them as needed, arrows are another matter
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »
I dont understand what folks do to not get the correct length of string and cant lengthen them or shorten them? All my string will adjust for almost any bow length.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »
Yeah, strings and waiting for staves to season.  I go from plant to string though and it sucks.  Lots of tedious finger work.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:20 pm »

i'm with you Clint, strings are pretty easy, I just make them as needed, arrows are another matter

I'll spend hours looking for a lost arrow.  I figure if it takes me two hours to find it I'm still several hours ahead if I had to make a new one.

Offline Japbow

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »

Hmmm...my least favorite task, and it's specific,
      is thinning down the wood on the belly of a bow.
      I'm talking post hatchet and pre tiller. I always
      have at least a centimeter of wood that needs to
      come off. I usually bounce between my Shinto
      rasp, a small draw knife, and this wood "cheese
      grater" thing I have because the monotony kills
      me. I dream of getting a bandsaw one day.

Japbow.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:14 pm »
Japbow, have you tried a farriers rasp?  It is pretty aggressive at removing wood.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 11:14:36 pm »
So far, I think I have heard every stage of bow work disparaged by several people in this thread.  Yup, used to hate chasing rings, now I love it, used to hate sandpaper, string making, arrow making, the whole shebang.  It's all the same to me now, but the one thing,,,that one little thing that I just can't work up any enthusiasm for....

(and now you are all gonna look at me funny.)

(Again.   ;D)

...is shooting them.  Never really have enjoyed it.  Probably never will.  Shocking huh?  But I didn't get into this for a bow, you can buy those.  Instead, it is the process, the simplicity of old hand tools, the sweetness of a curl breaking over the lip of a spokeshave, it's the journey.

Oh, and the look on a kid's face when you tell him or her to go ahead and keep that bow, after all, they shoot it pretty good, it must have been theirs from the beginning.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:26 pm »
And now I understand why you dont own a single bow you make... JW.... I like you. And dont worry, I'm not lookin at you funny. I'm just lookin at you because you look funny...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 10:10:40 am »
Actually... I have to recant. I really dont mind makin strings although ive worked with my hands in construction and factory work my whole life so the twisting makes my hands cramp. :o... What I absolutely cant stand is makin what you know to be the best shootin bow you ever made( with a good 30-60hrs in) and giving it to someone who just had to have it...then find it hangin on their wall..strung..and never shot... Grrrrr..... Maybe we should start a thread on our favorite part of archery, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....