Author Topic: Least favored task  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Least favored task
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »
Breaking and Bending good Draw Knives while roughing out staves...
I keep refining my technique,  but I also keep bending and breaking good drawknives.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline RyanR

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 07:21:19 pm »
I hate anything to do with arrows. Cutting, staining, fletching.....I hate it all. When I get done with a bow I just want to shoot it and not worry about arrows. I have no patience for them.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 12:12:59 am »
I hate sanding with a passion but I also appreciate how important it is to a good finish so I suck it up.

I love the handle work and don't mind making a string at all. It's funny to hear the variety of responses to this. Sounds like some of us need to team up and split the work.  :laugh:

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:54 am »
Finish work and strings for me.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 02:39:00 am »
I am not a big fan of finish work, enjoy the process of getting them tillered and shooting but that last little bit just wears me out, rather start a new bow.

Me too!  I admire the beautiful finishing work done by some of these talented bowyers on here, but I am just not into it.  Once I get it shooting like I want, I am already looking toward the next one.  Once in a while I will take time to pretty one up a bit, but it's usually the exception.   A bow is more about function over form to me.  It is cool to see all the different likes and dislikes in this post.  Aside from finishing work, there isn't any one part of the process that I really dislike.  Ring chasing used to be a pain to me, but I have come to enjoy that  as much as any other part. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 02:45:34 am »
Stopping.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline chamookman

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:50 am »
Strings for Me too. I'd rather bleed from the Eyes than have to make another string !!!!!!!!!!!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:46 am »
I like most everything about it,weak suit is finish work,I just want to get it sealed
and use it,and strings,I trade out with Jon on that unless I am making the bow for someone special ,then I want to do it all ,I do tiller work for string work with Jon.  ;) :) :) I also trade out with Will on grip work, again unless I am make a bow for someone. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 09:50:42 am »
Making arrows.  It's a task I have no patience for at all.  Love every aspect of bow making.  Ring chasing on Osage is enjoyable for me, but arrow making is nothing but a chore.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 10:51:10 am »
My least favorite part is cutting trees way off the road, splitting large trunks into staves and man handling them back to my truck by myself in 95 degree heat. I always seem to find bow wood in the middle of the summer.  It is always get it now or the bulldozer will get it tomorrow.

Next would be to looking at that huge pile of logs or staves I have collected and tackling the bark and sapwood removal, all the while thinking" why did I cut so much".

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 11:28:00 am »
The least favorite thing for me is picking the "right" stave and then finding out that it won't work after I start getting into the wood.  Once I get past this first part, and have a good stave, I love everything else.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 02:03:28 pm »
As far as actual work goes,
I am Weakest in Arrow Building.
So I derive more Frustration from it.
I Love it when I make One More Pass on a Cane Shaft that is nearly perfect.
To get that last wiggle out of it, only to make it worse...
Add to that my knappung skills are still Rough at best.
And there ya have it.

But as is my want, I tend to focus more effort where I'm weakest.
Hoping my skill will increase, and hopfully it will.

I am still Amazed when I get a Straight Flying Arrow...

:-)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »
It's not that I do not favor Arrow Building, it just does not favor me yet. Only because I have not put in the time to learn it well yet. Besides, with friends like CMB out there, no need to learn!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Newindian

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »
Going from log to stave, Straightening shafts (more that  three) and heat treating to some degree
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 03:22:34 pm »
Like Pearlie, its the waiting for me too. I love doing all the rest of the stuff related to our addiction.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC