Author Topic: Canadian types of bow  (Read 6995 times)

mikekeswick

Canadian types of bow
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:59:12 am »
Me and a few friends are just starting to plan a 3 - 4 month trip to B.C, Canada. Very loose plans as of yet but we will be canoeing a few different rivers (not sure which yet!), camping, fishing etc...
What I was wondering is what sort of bows did the first nations people carry and use is this area? I would very much like to make some sort of a replica to take with me. Also what sort of arrows would have been used eg. what material for the shafts, fletches, points etc....
Also any info on what material would have been used for the strings would be very useful.
Many thanks in advance guys. :)

Offline nathan elliot

Re: Canadian types of bow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 04:03:51 am »
3 - 4 months! Not jealous much honest. Didn't the bowyers bible 3 have some in it? Anyway have fun & stay away from the bears!

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:14 am »
Cheers Nathan, i'll go and gave a look at my copy....
I'd be jealous too!  ;)
I've got a friend who moved to Squamish,B.C. a few years ago, he keeps saying i've got to come out and see him and the country round there....he reckons if I go out there for a few months there is no way i'll be going back to England...we'll see  :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:23 am »
Typical West Coast gear depending on how far North you go. Think of the tribes there rather than the fact that it is in Canada. Not really a factor what the Country is called now.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:40:34 am »
I'm asking what that 'typical West coast gear' is!!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:46:47 am »
Generally very short to medium length, often sinew backed and sometimes with some degree of either recurves or hook nocks.
 They are known for being exceptionally broad but some are also narrower.
 Most people think of some sort of paddle bow as typical of the West Coast.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:43:18 am »
Your coming across the pond and going to Canada  ??? Blah..eh... :-X    :laugh:

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:45:20 am »
If you can get your hands on some Canadian yew I'll be your friend forever.

I might even pay you...

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:35 am »
Try searhing "Haida indian bow and arrows".
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline campx

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:27 am »

I've got a friend who moved to Squamish,B.C. a few years ago, he keeps saying i've got to come out and see him and the country round there....he reckons if I go out there for a few months there is no way i'll be going back to England...we'll see  :)

Definitely could happen.  I'm a BC boy thru and thru, and the scenery and variety still amazes me in my home province.  Get some Vancouver Island yew.......I'm seriously thinking of making the trip there just to get some wood (3 hour drive plus a ferry ride).
Cheers!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:28 am »
The list of tribes is or was rather large.
Make sure you contact "radius" when you get there. He always seems to have some bits of yew.
 It would be pretty cool if someone could get you a cured stave that you could work on as you go.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
Look into bows from the Haida, or even the Kwakiutl.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »
British Columbia is huge.  It contains elements of the Plateau, High Plains, Coastal Areas, and Islands.  To narrow down one type of archery tackle would be a very broad generalization.  Yes, sinewed bows were used but other bow types were used as well.  Everything from simple self D-bows to the elaborately painted sinew-backed paddle bows can be found there.

Canada, in my opinion, has a much better understanding of their First Nations cultures than we do.  I would try to hit as many local museums as possible and see what they have on display.

Having said that, a safe bet would be to use a softwood for the bow and hardwood shoots for the arrows.  Yew or juniper for the bow, for example, and osier for the arrow shafts.  Sinew backing is also a safe bet, as already mentioned.  A simple quiver, for holding the bow and arrows at the same time, made of a case-skinned small deer or large otter skin would be fine.  Most arrows I've seen from that area were foreshafted with very small arrowheads.  The fletchings would be from sea birds or birds of prey... but you can't use those so goose feathers are a good substitute.  Bowstrings and bow backings were usually made from very long sinews, like bison backstrap, as opposed to leg sinew.

It's hard to read the text on the picture below, so here's the link:  http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/exhibits/timemach/galler07/images/abbcmapm.jpg
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:25:45 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »
Just a little bit of advice that is awesome for bow quivers, you can buy seal fur there so u would buy a ton. You can't sell it in the USA but it is awesome stuff when you could sell it. I am pretty sure it isn't illegal to possess though
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:43 am »
Many thanks for all the ideas.
I'm thinking a 50 - 54 inch sinew backed yew. A little bit of bend in the handle and some recurves. I might have a go at painting the back with natural pigments because i've never experimented with them before. The only problem being is that I don't have any clean yew at the moment...I'll have to keep my eyes open!
I've got my sinew strings to a good enough point that I trust them now so i'll get a couple made up....I may just take a fastflight as a back up though  ;)
There is lots of dogwood growing round here for arrows too. I get loads of turkey feathers from a local farm every Christmas and it's getting about that time again.
One dilemma we are having is how many arrows to take....Of course we could make them en route but finding suitable materials isn't ever nailed on  ;) and having never been to B.C. with no 1st hand knowledge of the local plants......
I guess i'm also going to have to get a bit better at knapping too  ;)