Author Topic: Cascara  (Read 3678 times)

Don Case

Cascara
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
I did a search and found a few mentions of cascara bows but I don't see many recent posts with people bragging about their new cascara bow. Is it just a mediocre wood? There is a lot of it around here. How is it compared to vine or douglas maple?
Don

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Cascara
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:40:01 pm »
I got a stave from Keenan. Havent used it yet but i picked his brain... Only likes light heat straightening, needs a light backing such as silk or rawhide... He said it is very snappy and light... Prolly gonna be my next project ;)...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Very light, but snappy for its weight. I'd use it to splice levers and handles m'self.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:27:15 pm »
I've got one that I'm getting ready to start on. From what I've heard, every bit as good as yew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:42 pm »
Good ole cascara. I've made a couple. None That I felt like keeping. Backed mine with cherry bark, bc it was unknown to me whether or not i needed to.
I've had staves drying but im not too eager to jump into another one when I've got dry Vinemaple laying around.

Brian has made more than me I'm sure. He'll chime in shortly :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:14:56 am »
Cascara is a great bow wood, but with every second string bow wood you give something up. Cascara because of it's flexiblity, and easy to work belly are at the top of my list as to bow woods I like.It is a easy to work wood with handtools, spokespaves work great....it is a bit like working yew. Here in the northwest, My first pick would be vinemaple (as Bryce as alluded too as well.) next would be pacific dogwood, Cascara , hazlenut, then yew....in that order. Cascara does not need to be backed, BUT I would burnish the back well, backing with silk works good......black silk against the salmon colored Cascara looks good, to my taste.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:26:06 pm »
Brian, you dirty white-wood lover you.   Yew wood after hazlenut!!  Blasphemy.     ;)   

I have only ever made a kids bow from cascara.  The only Fret I have ever had. Seems a bit lacking in compression strength from my limited experience. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:28:21 pm »
So, harvest in the spring when the bark loosens?
Don

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »
N o need to wait, but the bark does come off easy in the spring. You musty be very carefull about nicking the back if you remove winter bark.....or it will end up in pieces

Cascara to me is very close Eastern red cedar or yew  in workability. I like them both. Decrowned and lumberized with a maple backing works very well.

Here is one I did some time back... http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34108.msg449729.html#msg449729

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 03:37:07 pm »
  The few I have made were good shooters but eventually broke. I think if you could find a big enough piece to avoid a high crown and make the bow wide enough it would be a good wood. Like most woods that have some tendency to chrysal it is also very snappy. Cascara isn't bad about chrysaling but will if you get a bit too much bend.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 03:39:04 pm »
  Brian, is cascara the wood that has a bit of a citrus smell? Been so long since I worked it I couldn't remember. I found an old stave in my stash last year that had that smell. Just like the others it made a nice but short lived bow.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »
badger,

Google my user name you will see lots of pics of Cascara.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:44:24 pm »
Most guys are using the Buckthorn variety as it is more available to many.

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 05:15:39 pm »
Well I've learned something. I didn't know they were related. Wikipedia refers to an Alder Buckthorn. Is that the invasive one?

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 05:28:46 pm »
So anything I've read on here about Buckthorn can apply to Cascara. Is Buckthorn bark also a laxative?