Author Topic: Taking set?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline J05H

Re: Taking set?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
I may be wrong but it looks to me like it's bending a little too much in the handle.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 08:54:46 pm »
You may be right about that. The bow is intended to be a bend in the handle "D" bow and the length of the bow stays close to the same width from nock to nock. May need to taper some more from the side thickness. I have seen some pictures of eastern bows that I tried to replicate and they have some string follow also...not sure what they would have looked like at full draw.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:48 pm »
Yes, it looks a touch too much bend in the handle which would throw the limbs off more than if it bent too much towards the tips.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Traxx

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 12:00:18 am »
All bows have set, not all bows have follow. Follow is the distance the tips go past the axis of the handle when unstrung.
Absolute correct statement.

I say no "follow" is preferable, but up to 2" is usually not a deal killer per-say. It's not preferable, but some bows can deal with string follow better than others, I think anyway.

Individual taste,would dictate this.I agree and disagree with these comments.
I prefer a little,in the bows i shoot,not only because of the manners,but a bow with a little follow can just as easily be faster than some without,if the bow without,is overbuilt to avoid any.