Author Topic: How to stop crunching on frozen grass?  (Read 8127 times)

Offline sleek

Re: How to stop crunching on frozen grass?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 02:41:39 pm »
Waders would keep skeeters off your legs and be great scent lock...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »
Waders would keep skeeters off your legs and be great scent lock...

Very true
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:50:55 pm »
Great way to re-purpose those obsolete felt soled fly-fishing waders.  They are being outlawed in many western states, fines are going to be astronomical.  They have been linked with carrying whirling disease from stream to stream. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 05:55:58 pm »
  KRIS you don't hunt much in WV do you.
  Right now theres about 8 inchs of snow and it's been snowing all day. The barefoot thing won't work here.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:24 am »
  KRIS you don't hunt much in WV do you.
  Right now theres about 8 inchs of snow and it's been snowing all day. The barefoot thing won't work here.
Nope I generally hunt in North western and north eastern nevada where my barefoot heathenism works out rather well until I find another damn cactus between rocks.... then it's a fun hour with the needle nose pliers watching a deer scramble down the hill  :P

Great way to re-purpose those obsolete felt soled fly-fishing waders.  They are being outlawed in many western states, fines are going to be astronomical.  They have been linked with carrying whirling disease from stream to stream. 
Yep I was given a pair but never use it since I prefer to just stand in the stream in some board shorts I feel less like I'm going to get waders full of water and drown (I know strange fear to have)
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 06:56:36 pm »
     Dang!  I have pair of those boots, and I love them!  I guess I will just have to learn to use my float tube! 
As for the frozen grass, you can cut a path, or just clear out an area for your stand, and like you said bring a section of carpet, or rug, and get there VERY early.  But then with the carpet or rug, you have the scent problem.  I guess you could wash it well with unscented soap, and let it dry, and then rub it well with fresh deer poop, and or grass, and leaves, boiled acorn juice, etc. ;) ::)

Wayne

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:54 am »
Well, I'll share a little trick I've been doing for years. Seems to work awesome dealing with any kind of noise you make while walking the woods, if you have turkeys in your next of the woods. Turkeys that are alone, maybe somehow got separated from the group, wonder around making a slow and soft cluck to try and announce where they are. Use the mouth piece turkey calls while walking. Turkeys tend to sound like a heard of tanks coming through the woods, so deer hear the clucking, and tend not be as alarmed. If you have a bunch of snow on the ground, like we do up here, turkeys won't make as much noise while walking. But you can still use the "lost turkey" call to cover your noise. Study up and practice on your turkey calls though, the difference between the lost turkey call, and the turkey alarm call is subtle.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI