Author Topic: How to stop crunching on frozen grass?  (Read 8128 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

How to stop crunching on frozen grass?
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:31:15 am »
I found a spot that has a virtual deer and other critter highway.  a mown lane between standing corn that was left and what looks like an old Christmas tree field with saplings.  I'm planing on my next trip out to hide between the 2nd row of junipers with a shooting window on the intersection of several trails.

The only issue is that the grass is like knee high there and frozen.  Crunching at every move. 

How to quiet that.  I'm thinking about getting a couldple of square yards camo polar fleece and laying it down as a mat to stand/sit on.  And or bringing the lawn sheers to cut the grass in my standing area.

Offline sonny

Re: How to stop crunching on frozen grass?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:37:21 am »
couldn't you just trample it down ??
seems that would only take a minute or so.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:20:16 pm »
Stomp the grass as fast and as loud as you can.  Meanwhile, rattle some antlers good and loud. 

You may wanna keep your bow close at hand with an arrow at the ready!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
When I have a hunting partner, I have him walk behind me off step. We sound like a 4 legged critter then and dont sound so alarming, regardless of the noise we make. Just be sure to pause at times, no animal walks nonstop.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:40 pm »
Stomp the grass as fast and as loud as you can.  Meanwhile, rattle some antlers good and loud. 

You may wanna keep your bow close at hand with an arrow at the ready!

+1 . Doesn't hurt to add a little grunt or two as well. I always clear where I'm standing down to bare earth. The earth then also becomes a cover/attractant scent. By doing this , you are doing the same thing a buck will do. Just called in two does the last time I was out, with this method. I will also break a branch or two.( small dry twiggy kind) and scape them on the shrub they came from. Just try to stay well hidden when doing this. Any movement  will be zeroed in on instantly.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03:38 am »
Walk it pulling a 1X12 board. The board will be warmer than the grass causing it to melt some as you flatten it as well

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »
Walk it pulling a 1X12 board. The board will be warmer than the grass causing it to melt some as you flatten it as well

Cipriano

CROPCIRCLES!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:41:05 am »
  Here what I'd do. Forget about unting there this year. Next SEPT. I'D WEEK WACK ME A TRAIL.

I've been cuting, raking trails for 30 years. Hunting mature bucks being quiet at all times is a must.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »
Bring a hair dryer.  >:D ;)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:08 am »
Be Barefoot:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:20:19 am »
I'd suggest clipping a trail in. I had to fight with frozen mules ear last year and I'm still trying to figure out a way to beat it. For the frozen grass I'd say either walk very very slowly, mushing the grass as you go; it should freeze itself down over night. Then when you come into it the next day wrap your boots in polar fleece to soften the bottoms and hopefully muffle yourself. Idk just an idea
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:28:14 am »
I like the boot muffling idea...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline KrisDelger

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 04:48:47 am »
When I'm not hunting barefoot I usually wrap my boot bottoms in polar fleece to keep the soles from grinding into the dirt, it also helps when you manage to find the one brittle twig underfoot the fleece muffles the sound of the snap pretty well. If I'm walking through brush that might get stuck onto the fleece I pull it off and continue through but put the fleece back on before going through any loose stones or grass. What you can do is make booties out of the fleece (google bowling shoe covers for an idea) you can make them longer on the ankle end so that they go up to the tops of your boots if like me you wear high top hiking boots. It can help keep your boot hooks from scraping along whatever is hanging into the trail except the fleece will pick up things like burrs, fox tails, and thorns if you have those in your area.
I usually make myself three sets of boot covers every hunting season as opposed to picking all of the little thorns and buggers out of the fleece.
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 02:29:11 pm »
When I'm not hunting barefoot I usually wrap my boot bottoms in polar fleece to keep the soles from grinding into the dirt, it also helps when you manage to find the one brittle twig underfoot the fleece muffles the sound of the snap pretty well. If I'm walking through brush that might get stuck onto the fleece I pull it off and continue through but put the fleece back on before going through any loose stones or grass. What you can do is make booties out of the fleece (google bowling shoe covers for an idea) you can make them longer on the ankle end so that they go up to the tops of your boots if like me you wear high top hiking boots. It can help keep your boot hooks from scraping along whatever is hanging into the trail except the fleece will pick up things like burrs, fox tails, and thorns if you have those in your area.
I usually make myself three sets of boot covers every hunting season as opposed to picking all of the little thorns and buggers out of the fleece.

I wear those fly fishing ankle boots. There quite and they're sticky as all get out. Climb rocks and logs no problem. But hey also have the ones that have a thick piece of felt on the bottom.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline KrisDelger

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »

I wear those fly fishing ankle boots. There quite and they're sticky as all get out. Climb rocks and logs no problem. But hey also have the ones that have a thick piece of felt on the bottom.
I wish I had a pair of those boots! My waders have the same sort of deal on the bottom of the feet but I think it'd be a little odd to go out hunting in my fishing waders....