Author Topic: Just a word of thanks to all you folks  (Read 2623 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Just a word of thanks to all you folks
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:58:10 am »
Mods - feel free to move this if you don't think it fits with the forum.

I've been on Primitive Archer for a number of years, although I'll be honest in that I probably didn't look at the site more than a couple times over the last couple years. I got a little burned out on bows for a while there and living in an apartment I just didn't have a good place to really work on them. I kinda got away from archery and making bows for those two years while I pursued other things that kept me busy working with my hands (building bicycles in case you were wondering). I got to thinking recently how much I missed building bows and how much I missed going to the range to put arrows on paper. Also, I was granted the use of a disused storage room in my apartment building where I intend to build bows as long as the building manager will let me (after all, he did give me the key to padlock on the door  :)

Anyway, I've been coming back to the site now for a couple months, lurking a bit, making a couple comments here and there, placing my votes for BOM, etc. Anyway, all the great pics, the advice the experienced folks dole out to the newbs and slightly less newbish guys like me, well it's been great to read all that stuff. I love seeing the bows, and it's like coming home, getting back on this forum. I recognize names and it's great seeing the bows still being cranked out by guys I was admiring two, three, four, five years ago when I first got into this whole bowyering thing.

I had a bit of a realization recently too. I decided I wanted to get back to making simple bows that didn't entail the use of lots of power tools and calculations and just so much soul-less "wood engineering." I put out a request for suggestions for retailers or members selling staves and where I should start looking. In less than 24 hours, two members local to me have already made the offer to help me out by giving me some staves from their own stock because in the words of one of these guys (paraphrasing a bit here), "other guys have done it for me." That's what I wanted to make this post about. Community. This place is a great source of information where we can all learn from each other and it just amazes me in this day and age where so many folks just ignore everyone else, where it's all "me, me, ME!" that a community such as this can still exist.

Gotta tell ya guys, I'm gettin' a lil choked up here  ;) Seriously though, this site is fantastic and I always feel like I learn something every time I come here. What we're doing here - makin' bows, flint  knappin', whatever - these are amazing skills that would fall to the wayside if it wasn't for everyone doin' and sharin'. Keep up the good work folks - keep on inspiring. I'm just happy to be part of such a great community.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Just a word of thanks to all you folks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 02:03:35 am »
Aw, you're welcome skirt-boy!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 02:11:24 am »
 >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:31 am »
Just remember when the opportunity arises for you to pass it on yourself to someone else to do so  8)   that's what keeps this a good thing going

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:52:53 am »
You got that right Blackhawk. Were I to have the resources I wouldn't hesitate to pass on some staves or offer to open up my place to a new bowyer looking to get started or learn a little hands-on from what I could pass on. Not to stray too far off topic, but I think a lot of it is just where I live. In this big city I find far more people interested in cool places to go an eat out or drink versus folks interested in getting OUT of the city and into the country. All the hunters and other sportsman types I've ever met were almost always a bit more "rural" a bit more down to earth. I find that those folks are the ones willing to help out others the most. There's a lot of "me first" in this giant city and it's kinda soul-crushing. My wife and I can't wait to get out of here (we're planning to move to Colorado). It's just good to see such a diverse community with so many folks who are so generous both in just contributing helpful criticism or advice here on the forums to actually stepping up when it comes time to help foster another person's interest by helping them with a donation of materials. I guess everyone realizes at some point, "hey I was in his place at one time," and they step up when necessary. I'm a diehard bicycle commuter and I see the same thing in my ranks. Those of us who put thousands of miles on our bikes each year don't hesitate to stop when we see another rider on the side of the road or bike path. It takes just a second to see if someone needs help. It's great that the traditional archery community is so much about sharing - sharing knowledge, sharing supplies, whatever. It's what keeps communities like this going and it's a breath of fresh air in this time of "me first" pretty much everywhere you look.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:28 am »
Could'nt have said it better myself hawkey. Yah might think Im more crazy than you already do? But of all the osage Ive cut and split with my own hands, more has been given away than I have used. Almost all my osage bows are wood that I didnt cut. 1 in 6 might be from my hands.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:53:34 am »
Way to go, Matt! Nice to see you are coming back to bows. That was nice of the manager. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:59:06 am »
This is a fantastic site. It gives us old codgers a (not you PD) a chance to help people get started...people who are genuinely interested in becoming "bowyers".

I've had people come over and I've helped them make bows. So far they have made one bow, as far as I know, and that's it.

It is nice to see people take off with this avocation and then (like PD) they become the mentors.

You know what? I wish this site was around when I started. :)

Some advice: take advantage of it and do not be afraid to ask question.

Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 11:44:20 am »
Welcome back!
And I agree, it's a great community here! If these guys keep giving me free lessons, hopefully I will be able to give it back to a newbie someday too. Thanks folks!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:39 am »
Selfishness is rampant every where not just the city !

This community is one of the best !!
It don't get any better than this !!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back !! ( even if you do don a wee skirt )
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »
Jawge,

I remember way back when I was first learning board bows, I read everything on your site and I even remember you lamenting that you wished I lived closer so you could just help me make a couple bows. I wish I could've taken you up on that, but I think I did fairly well with what I gleaned from your site a few years back. Now I'm ready to move on to making stave bows, so you'll have more than enough opportunity to give advice and help me along again when I start posting those first preliminary tillering shots. Oh yeah, and thank you personally for all you do to help everyone out on this forum. It's folks like you that I was talking about when I mentioned recognizing names and loving to see the bows those folks make.

Matt

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »
Building bikes and building bows goes hand in hand. Get yourself some bamboo and build a "real" bike.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 02:14:04 pm »
Some people are giving away free staves?  :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »
Matt, you are certainly welcome. I am here for you.
That is a beauty of a ride. I love to bike. But the knees and back protest a little more each year. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »
I agree this is a great community. Hard to find this quality of people any more.