Author Topic: Rawhide backed, osage, TD  (Read 3292 times)

Offline steve b.

Rawhide backed, osage, TD
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
I'm trading a guy a couple bows for a couple knives:

A couple years ago I made a 72", TD osage.  I shot it for awhile then sinew-backed it to get some experience.  As you can imagine it was a handful to shoot.  I set it aside until last week when I removed the sinew, shorted it to 66", rawhide backed, rewrapped the handle, added tip overlays, and retillered for 50#@28".
Each limb has a slight twist in opposing directions from each other.  Went for the rustic look.

The other long bow is a 40# hazelnut that I made a month or so ago that shoots 500 grn arrows very nice.  Its super lightweight.  Its set up with a small handle wrap for a woman or youngster.

The small bow is the deflex side of an oceanspray log that I clamped into a form while it was still green.  Its unfinished right now but shooting arrows.  Its about 25-30 lbs.@ 22". 

Offline steve b.

Re: Rawhide backed, osage, TD
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »
I can hear that osage sigh a big relief from hear ;)

Cool hazelnut with a quirky limb

Like the ocean spray ...I bet if you tempered it,n then pulled back a few more inches ya would get a hunting weight lil brush bow....as elastic as I hear ocean spray is I bet it would take it...what's the unbraced side profile look like?

All cool projects Steve ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »
Nice ones...................
I've got to try a TD some day.
Thanks for the pics
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:48:12 pm »
Nice bows Steve, I don't know what that osage looked like before but it came out nice on the reworked end. The hazel bows awfully nice too as well as the little ocean spray stick. You got the papa, mama and kid trifecta in that batch.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
Thanks guys.

Here's the unstrung OS along with the reflexed side and the form.  I really like this wet-wood-in the form thing.  I'm looking forward to trying this on bigger sticks.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »
I actually tried to copy the sinew job that I saw on a bow that (?, can't remember his name, Pinehollow guy)  He laid the sinew in a way to simulate the stranded look of an elk antler.  Coolest thing I ever saw. 

So I laid it kind of course and wavy.  Problem was when I drew the bow the sinew and glue would crackle and pop. 

Yea, when I grabbed that bow out of the case it felt like I was grabbing a target rifle.  Its much happier now.  I"m glad I found a home for it.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:05:48 am »
Love the shape of that little ocean spray. Nice work.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:14 am »
Glad to see the OS held its shape!  Gotta try that wet forming sometime. Sorry to see the hazelnut go, I like that one!   :o :)
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:25:16 am »
    You are a busy man!  Nice looking bows with a great variety of woods.

Dave

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:50:47 am »
Man that rework turned out nice. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:30:10 am »
I love that braced profile on the center bow. Re-building bows is great experience and something Ive done several times. I enjoy it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:47:49 am »
Those are some radical bows.  I like the idea of revisiting bows.  I have a couple that I have thought about doing something with.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:13:18 am »
Yea, most of my first bows are from good stock but are overbuilt or sloppy.  Why not clean them up?

One thing I learned from this osage experience......I have a new appreciation for hide glue!  It was all I could do to get that sinew off.  I used a heat gun and some of the sinew caught on fire before it would release.  Even after it was off there were islands of glue still stuck to the back.  I softened it with water, scraped it, sanded it, chewed on it, whatever, and there was still some residual when I put the rawhide on!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 11:21:06 am »
All very nice!  Love the rustic look.  Really like the little R/D bow.  The other one looks cool too!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?