Author Topic: More pottery firing with improved kiln: ocarinas, satyrs and udus  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Jodocus

I improved on my kiln after two firings remained reductive and did not quite reach the temperature I needed. The first version had the firebox coming into the burning chamber on the bottom, and the chimney exited it on top:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42950.0.html

Now I  made a bigger firebox, moved it's opening to the burning chamber higher, and the chimney exit from the burning chamber to the bottom, so the flames essentially move downward in there. Like this, it gets heated more evenly. I slowly fired the kiln until the flame exited the chimney a couple of inches, then let it go down slowly. Four hours up, then I muffled it, let the fire burn down, then I closed it and let it cool.

The tall udu drum and the largest of the satyrs and ocarinas come from this firing. The black satyr and ocarina come from a reductive firing, the mixed ones from an experiment with charcoal inside the burning chamber. The white and red udu is from a spare lump of store bought clay I had and was painted with red earth before firing, the colour burned in nicely and firmly. The trick was to thin it enough and paint several coats. When the paint was too thick, it would peel off on other pieces I'd tried.

I started that pottery thing cause I wanted four tiny pots to put in paint from ground stones I want to paint a bow with. Then I kinda got carried away with it. I still need the pots cause the ones I made cracked when I filled in the paint  :'( And I got a couple more udus drying. But as it will freeze soon, so will my clay and I'll be back to making bows.

I better get those paint pots made soon.
Don't shoot!

Offline stickbender

Re: More pottery firing with improved kiln: ocarinas, satyrs and udus
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:22:29 am »

Cool! :o 8) 8)
     Looks like you have it down.  Those are great!  Nice job.

Wayne

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:01:38 pm »
Very nice pieces Jodocus,  Handmade treasures of art are special IMO, looking forward to seeing more of this from you.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:08:00 am »
Very nice !
Good job !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:58 am »
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:52 am »
man that is some nice stuff.  Surpassed my modest pottery skills.  You must have some good clay where you are, I can barely get mine to cooperate!    great looking stuff!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:49 am »
Oh wow!  That is some fine craftsmanship!

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:04:50 am »
Thanks guys! It's way easier than it looks, you can actually put material back on, imagine that  ;D Frost hit today, so that was it with pottery until spring. I got stuff for one or two more firings. Firing is nice on a dark, cold day.
Don't shoot!

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 08:24:24 am »
Very nice pieces.Was the kiln made out clay or mud.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:55 am »
swamp yeti: the kiln is made from just earth, it's loess that has some clay-like properties and can also be burnt to coarse pottery.
Don't shoot!

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:10:19 pm »
great job Jodocus! 
making mud kilns is the best way to learn about mud kilns.
I've made many as a full time hand building potter. and each one I learn a whole lot from. looks like you are having some successes
and that sure helps! if you want me to share any mud and/or adobe kiln pics of mine message me or just let me know.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:46:51 pm »
Jodocus,
heres a pic from 1980 of a cob (mud) kiln made over a couple days that fired great.
notice it has a mud lid on top for placing and removing pots inside.
to build the lid , mound a low circular covex pile of dirt on the ground ,cover with plastic, apply the cob mix.
I also put in some sheep fence wire imbedded.. because it will likely develop cracks.

Its a downdraft which means the flue opening is about ground level opposite the firebox (or firing chamber)
fire chamber made by using a 5 gal. bucket on its side with wood wedges to be able to drop the "form" when the mud set.
small fire for the first hour, right at the opening
eventually the wood is thrown in and the flame hits a mud brick to divert it around the pots.
if you want your burnished pots to turn black, get the temp up to above red heat, throw in a bunch of cowpies
and seal everything the opening, the chimney, and anywhere you see smoke leaking out.
we are still using a black salad bowl i made in that kiln from 1980.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
in wet weather the stove pipe was removed and it was covered with a tarp.
when you do a first firing DO NOT PUT POTTERY IN IT.
it will be making lots of steam and steam will kill your pots.
before the kiln is even warmed by fire it should be sun baked for atleast a week.

alot of people lose pots in primitive firings because of steam from the ground or from pots
that weren't dry enough..its a terrible sound to hear...exploding pots

you can also entirely cover your pots inside with packed DRY wood ash mixed with DRY chunks of wood for some colorful flashing"
the wood ash protects the pots from the flame.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »
Thank you richardzane!

That's a much more solid construction. I plan to build something more permanent next spring. I really like the idea of the mud lid, I am definitely giong to try that.
Must the pots be protected from the flame? I was actually trying to get them right into the flame  ;D

I enjoyed the photograph, too. It doesn't look like you get too much wet weather.
Don't shoot!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 10:33:35 pm »
that was out on the Navajo Rez. but yeah it would get pretty muddy at times.

flame can be an enemy, ESPECIALLY the period of time RIGHT before RED heat. (chemical water is still leaving the clay)
ONCE the pots are beginning to glow,  flame won't bother them at all.
if you have a hole in the center of your lid  you can open it after red heat and toss in splinters of wood or dung
and it won't bother the clay (if it has plenty of crushed sherd temper in the clay)

if you REALLY want to get into this and want to build an adobe kiln, i do have some step by steps of this one.