Author Topic: First Mulberry Bow (pics added)  (Read 13959 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

First Mulberry Bow (pics added)
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:08 pm »
Hey Guys,
I've been looking at a mulberry branch stave a guy gave me a year or so ago.  It was only about 3 1/2" in diameter and had two huge rings of sapwood.  the rings were about 1/2' thick each.  Oh ya... that only left about 1 1/2" of heart wood.  I had split it in half as soon as I got it and put it inside the house to dry.  I did a lot of research and found that bows have been made out of sapwood only.  Most of them was reported to have pretty good cast, except I found one that Pearly made was a dog.  But I went ahead and took off the bark, not many but a few small pin knots and cut the profile out. Pat B has always said 10 -15% more than osage. So, I made the fades 2" wide out 10" and then tapered to within 9" of the tips to 3/4" wide, the last 9" to the tip I want to make really thin and stiff.  The handle is 4" with 1 1/2" fades , ntn is 64".  I also put about 3" of reflex in it.

Well I cut the thickness out on my band saw and started floor tillering.  I learned on the last couple of bows to do as much floor tillering as possible.  I use a push/pull stringing method every time I string a bow and I think that has help me get the feel of floor tillering to within 5-10 pounds of my target weight, 50#.  Finished it up on the tree pretty quickly.

Man this bow is scary light in the hand compared to the osage that I have been working with.  Every time I pulled that thing back I was expecting it to explode!!  but it hasn't yet.  No heart wood except in the handle. 100% of the working limb is sapwood.  This wood is much softer to work with than osage or hickory.  The only thing I have found that I don't like about it is the creamy color of the sapwood.  I'll probably stain it when I'm done.  I've been wanting a dark colored hunting bow.

Shot it 50 times tonight and WOW is it snappy.  I still flinch every time I pull it back.... it is so light in the hand and no hand shock. I can't believe it,  Hope it holds up.

OH..... pics are coming,  Man I haven't said this much in a long time.  I'm just fired up with this mulberry stuff.

DBar

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:58:42 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First Mulberry Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:04 pm »
Sounds like your on a good one Bill, I've read that mulberry sapwood is fine also. Since you had no options with your stave its good to see that it worked. I've done a handful of mullbery bows but only one where I left one thin ring of sap on the back and it was my favorite mulberry bow to date, Cody has that bow now and far as I know its still in one piece.
Looking forward to the pics of yours.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »
Way to tease us Bill.   Where are the pics.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:01 pm »
The nerve of that guy!!!  You can't just waltz in here telling of nice bows and not show pics!!  That's 5 demerits and your name on the board mister! :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:47 am »
Looking forward to seeing it,I have a mulberry in the works right now,it is all heart wood but still very lightt in the hand.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:47 am »
Glad to hear you're having success with it Bill. Now show us the pics!  >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:33:18 am »
Say Bassmaster, where did you get that branch? I cut out an identical sized mulberry branch last night, I got it from Scott (Stringman) at pappys last spring. You got me all excited about it now! Ive been on a tear the last 2 weeks, 42-45% humidity gets me all giddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:10 am »
Sounds cool Bill can't wait to see pics
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:19:21 am »
Mulberry is great wood. Anxious to see some pics, don't know about the sapwood, but the heartwood will darken some with age.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:04 am »
Mulberry is great bow wood. Its physical lightness is what makes it so fast.  I've made bows from all heartwood, all sapwood and everything in between. The only difference I've seen is a bow will be thicker the more sapwood on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 07:56:09 pm »
Hey Guys,
Yep, I agree with all of you.  I need to get this sucker finished and some pic's taken,  work has been killing me the last few days, maybe this weekend.   

Pearl, the branch came from a co workers back yard.  ??? The other half of the branch I think I'll chase one of the sapwood rings and have more heart wood left on the belly.  It might be a little narrower than this one, but what the heck.  I've got to go and get some more of this stuff, The guy cut the whole tree down last weekend.

Pat, this bow has a very high crown, @ mid limb it's a little less than 2" and the best I can measure about 1/2" at the crown.  way more than what osage would be at 1 1/2" wide.

Thanks for committing , I'm shooting it before each finishing coat hope to have finished pic's this weekend.  Critics are welcome that and making shavings is how I learn.   :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:29 pm »
It don't exist unless we see pics  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:03 pm »
yeah I've got a bit of mulberry , one in the shop waiting, the sapwood darkens fast and it's pretty, gonna leave some sapwood on this one and maybe make an elb with it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline J05H

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
Come on bill...ya posted this a day ago and not even a teaser pic yet  ???  ::)