Author Topic: Fur shed  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Fur shed
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:14:43 pm »
What's your fur shed looking like. Mines got a lot of empty spaces, Started out pretty good but this week just about shut me down, have trouble even catching cold :( :o Hope this week for improvements. Bob

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Fur shed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »
Raccoon, red fox, and a coyote!  Any other furs?  What do you do with all these furs?  Is raccoon for anything in particular?  That's about all I'd have access to. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:53 pm »
Tim, Muskrat, mink and beaver not in season yet, I have caught a bunch of possom an a few skunks but they are not worth puttin up. All these furs will end in Toronto fur auction in Febuary. All most all of todays furs are bought by China, Russia and a few other foriegn countrys, Fur is now popular in these countrys. Mainly coats an hats and lotof trimming goods made from these.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
Does this count?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:04 pm »
Patrick, that's the bait ;D :o :o

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »
Bob what do you use for coyote & fox.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:50:58 pm »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:48 pm »
Rob, you talk bait or traps? Actually , I don't like to use bait until it gets real cold, and my reason for that is we have way to many possom an skunk caught when its warm an using bait. I mostly use gland lures or call lures an sometimes urines. Urines can be bad if you have alot of rabbits in your area, I think the salts in urines attract rabbits. After hard cold winter sets in beaver with a little skunk essence is hard to beat. Everything likes beaver  ;D Bob

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:24:07 am »
I don't have any pictures of my shed, but here's a couple critters off my line. I hope this is not too far off subject.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:35 am »
Haven't layed a trap yet. I'll be setting some 110mag. and 120's for Rats and Mink, just waiting for Firearm Deer season to slow down a bit. After the first of the year, I'm going to extend My quest of Weasel Trapping. Doesn't seem to be many in My area. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:10 am »
Nice looking fur Bob. A friend of mine loves catching skunks. He says the scent is worth fifty bucks an ounce and you can get an ounce out of a large one.
Steve Bennett

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 07:39:13 am »
Looking pretty good to me Bob. ;) :) Patrick,you ant right. ;) ;D ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:09 am »
Turtle, I'm not sure about the price of skunk essence but I do know that no matter how careful you are your going to get a drop on ya, and a little of that goes a long way, and I am married also . ;D :o :o :o  One season I put 4 up and had them tanned , Skunks are one of our prettiest furs but ya know . They Stink :( Bob

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:55 am »
I have not trapped for many years but this title and pics  sparked some very deep seated emotions from days gone by !!
To say that as a child I was a hand full was a bit of an understatement !
It took several folks to get me raised up !
One off the men that helped tremendously was the local fur buyer !
Thanks for sparking the memories !!!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:34 pm »
Nice fur shed!

Someone mentioned weasels and I was wondering if you don't have chickens, how can you know if weasels are in your area and what to bait them with? I had a buddy when I was young that caught a few and he said they are not trap shy and love bloody meat. I think he would put a smal single spring in a coffee can with a muskrat leg in back. It's been a while so I may have that twisted some how. I would actually like to catch a couple late ones when they are white (ermines).
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes