Author Topic: back me up on tiller... patch installed.  (Read 26406 times)

Offline echatham

Re: back me up on tiller
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 04:45:45 pm »
Buckeye guy no kidding on slowing down.  Had all morning off and to myself so that was hard to do.  Scraped a bit... Took a picture... Went upstairs had coffee... Shot a little... Go scrape... Take another picture... Repeat.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:31 pm »
Are you done yet !!  >:D :laugh: :laugh:
Glad you have it under control !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline echatham

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 06:42:10 pm »
nope...not yet.... couple more coats of tru-oil  ;D :o

Offline echatham

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »
just kidding by the way.  did a little work on it today, mostly just got it as perfect as i can at the 3.5" brace using the tillering gizmo.  tomorrow or this evening i might brace it up to 5 or 6 inches and start tillering for real. today i chased a ring on a pair of beautiful black locust billets for my next project, and helped a buddy rough out his first selfbow from a shagbark hickory stave i cut down a couple years ago.  we made a mess.

Offline echatham

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »
4.5" brace.  31# @ 14".  no pic at draw cause i only did it very quickly and didn't want to hold it there. just long enough to run the straight edge down each limb.  just about spot on.  couple scrapes in one spot on the top limb and a couple full length scrapes on the bottom and im in business.  from this point, im going to determine exactly where the arrow pass will be (and therefore exactly where my bow and string hand will be), and adjust my tree accordingly.  going to make a little leather or web strap "string hand" to go around the string to simulate my "3 under" grip, and use that, cause i wonder if it makes a difference pulling from a single point vs a three finger point... my thinking is it could... so why gamble.  doesn't seem to have lost any more reflex. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2013, 04:19:49 pm »
Perfect
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
Thanks PD  8)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »
Looking good!!!

Offline echatham

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 09:46:11 am »
5.5" brace, 33@16.  bottom limb still to stiff, scraping only the bottom a few scrapes at a time until it catches up with the top.  bottom limb is also starting to take a set, top hasn't budged.  anyone know why that might be? other than the top being an inch longer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 09:53:04 am »
Top has a fuzz more reflex off the hanlde, equals a fuzz more set. I have buckthorn Im messing with just like it. If you are 33 @ 16 your darn close to a 55 @ 27-28 bow at the end. Id start course sanding all the marks away and tiller lightlywith sandpaper if need be. Pull it farther exercising it 8-10 pulls per inch as you go down. See how she looks at 45# and 20" or so. Maybe jump that brace up to 5 3/4" to. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 09:56:33 am »
yeah i know its getting close... just don't wanna rush it.  going for 50 @ 29, so i should still have some breathing room.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 09:57:31 am »
Yup, you have space. But like any good party? Get there early man.

Offline echatham

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 10:08:22 am »
good idea to tiller with fine grit sandpaper from here on out?  ive done a pretty good job about minimizing tool marks so far, but i figure with sandpaper i could further minimize the step effect at the late to early wood transitions.  as soon as i get the lower limb caught up im going to start working my way down to 50#, wherever that is.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 10:09:21 am »
When you're working with staves you're general dealing with unequal working properties Eric. One limb can be stronger than the other. In my opinion, the stump end is always stronger. That's why I much prefer sister billets for bows. So with stave bows, I build them as they stand in the tree. Billets, butt ends are joined at the handle. How is your limbs oriented?

Is your top limb pulling out of alignment (out from the wall) due to that irregular hump right outside the handle?

Art

Offline echatham

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:31 am »
Art unfortunately i don't know anything about what part of the tree this stave came from, or its orientation.  got no osage here so i had to get this from a guy in ohio.  my next project involves book matched black locust billets that will be joined at the stump end.  i don't think the top limb is pulling away like you say, but i haven't thought to look out for that either.  i will look for that next time i give her a tug.