Author Topic: back me up on tiller... patch installed.  (Read 26389 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: back me up on tiller
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 09:32:23 pm »
I dig out knots that go all the way through and leave them that way.  but the ones that are only on the belly I dig out a fill with glue and saw dust.  Just the I do it.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 06:48:07 am »
Dig it out /leave a hole/ or fill with glue and dust or just leave it alone,won't matter where it is located. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline echatham

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:54 am »
I poked at it a little and it came out  :)  i dig it.

Offline echatham

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
finally got it braced.  took a while because it was too stiff after putting in the reflex, and then my string kept stretching out on me.  kept it braced at 1" for about 30 seconds, just long enough to snap pictures and get a look at it.  should be able to get the string perfectly centered by thinning tips and handle... later.    lost a hair over an inch of reflex (the bottom of the blue tape on the wall marks where the tips were right off the form)  the unbraced pic is immediately after unstringing.  if it looks like its going to have string follow once i get it to full brace, is there any harm in re-adding reflex in the outer two thirds?

i think my floor tillering abilities are improving... limbs look pretty darn even to me first try.

Offline echatham

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »
3.5" brace.  stiff at inner thirds? 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »
Whats the straight edge tell you? The straight edge never lies. One of these days Im going to do a straight edge tillering video.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 12:26:01 pm »
straight edge says (i think) slightly stiffer.  very slight and the bumps and wiggles still play tricks on me.  the wood curving the opposite way of the line can make a straight line look curved... or vice versa i guess.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »
Tip that straight edge as you run it along the limb, follow those twists. If that gap even starts to shrink a hair, mark the area and remove wood. This stave is pretty "clean" and each limb needs to bend evenly and the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2013, 12:30:41 pm »
Whats the straight edge tell you? The straight edge never lies. One of these days Im going to do a straight edge tillering video.
That's a video I want to see  ;)
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline echatham

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »
think we might be talking about two different things... i thought you were asking about the straight line drawn down the side of the limbs using the yardstick.  are you talking about a tillering gizmo (or using a small straight edge in the same manner)?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 12:32:54 pm »
I use my scraper, but yes that's the edge I was referring to. Run it from your fades to 6" from the tips. That gap needs to be the same from end to end.

Offline echatham

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 12:47:29 pm »
gotcha. thats the method i use.  was just trying this out to get to brace.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
If that's your method, then your all set. Forget about pencil marks and just watch your straight edge gap. When your gap is even end to end on each limb, your tillered. Slowly draw it out to your weight and watch for flat spots with your straight edge. Once you get to 20" or so your tiller probably wont change out to 27-28".

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 02:50:44 pm »
looking good !
You should be able to do all the rest except that one dipdedo with your gizmo or a strait edge sighting devise !!!
Just check back on the strait line once and awhile to be sure it has the same amount of bend that you see with the rest of the limb !
Nice job so far now slow down some more !  :laugh: :laugh:
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 02:52:28 pm »
Pearl you should do a tillering vid.  After that bow Yew posted, I think I would like to know how you do things

Matt