Author Topic: back me up on tiller... patch installed.  (Read 26377 times)

Offline echatham

Re: back me up on tiller... patch installed.
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2013, 05:45:17 pm »
Thats the plan.  Thanks!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:51 pm »
Nice fix Eric! That looks nice.

No way I would go back to a long string and pull the amount of times Jeff suggested. Long string will exercises the inner limb more so then evenly distributing the stresses along the rest of the limb. I don't think you need that in that particular area. Any weight reduction from this point on should be out in front of both fades leaving these areas a little stiff (that discolored wood around that knot area is hard, dense and brittle wood). You're probably not going to have any more problems one way or the other but I thought I's throw my two cent in there for you.........Art

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 07:34:33 pm »
Good looking fix Eric.  I tend to agree with Art.  I would monitor that area close just to see what is going on, if anything.  You basically have a  plywood effect there with the different grain orientations so that may change things a bit depending on how much work was actually being done there.  And be patient.  Also, big storm headed your way.  Better go stock up on shop fuel.

Offline echatham

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2013, 08:57:04 pm »
thanks guys.  yeah i think if anything it will probably be a little stiff there.  i will give it a pull on the long string before bracing, and then start over tillering from there, one inch at a time.  i really don't expect much complication... but i will be looking out for it anyway.
Matt i think we are just getting rain out here, guess its sposed to get windy though.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2013, 06:48:18 am »
Patch looks good, Nice job,hope it holds and feel pretty sure it will .Good luck and keep us posted.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:46 am »
Nicely done, I gotta see how this works out.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline echatham

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »
Seriously?  >:(  got off early today,  real early... and got to work on this thing.   a few pulls on the long string.... all good,  braced... all good... back down to 50@ 25, and then i seen this.  i don't get it.... does this stave just not want to be a bow or what?    until a couple days ago i had the back sealed with glue, then as i started getting close to the finish line i scraped all that off and cleaned up the back just to make sure there were no tool marks.  it was only at 80 degrees in the hot box for glueing the patch.  im almost positive this was not there yesterday.  any advice on how to handle this?  super glue?  silk or linen back?
its mostly on the back of the handle, but does extend a couple inches past the dips.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
That looks like a drying check rather than anything from stress.  You should be totally fine.  But you may want to check the mc, that may be the culprit for the fret on the belly too.  Just a thought.

Matt

Offline echatham

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2013, 12:21:18 pm »
if i rub ca glue into the check, and then coat the back with it, it should be good right?  then back to the drying box i guess.  could it have regained enough moisture from humidity to cause this?  it hasn't even been humid until today though.

Offline echatham

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
yeah Matt i know its a check and not from stress,  and unfortunately i got no moisture meter... maybe that should be on my christmas wish list... hmmm...   anyway, im gonna give it some dry time cause i don't think that would happen if it were completely dry. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:14 pm »
Fill it with thin glue and move along.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2013, 12:26:15 pm »
You might want to put another coat of glue on it just to be safe never know if mor will come join there friend ;)

Offline echatham

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2013, 12:57:37 pm »
coated the whole back with gorrilla glue impact tough (blue cap) ca glue, that should be sufficient as a sealer right?  i always just used wood glue or shellac, but ... since i was fillin cracks....

Offline artcher1

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »
Super glue works good for a sealer............but, you need thin runny stuff for crack filling. First thing I do is finish the back/sides before I ever string a bow. That leaves only the belly to concentrate on while I tiller out to weight.  Next time, try finishing the back/sides, then seal with painter's masking tape if no finish is applied. Glue is unnecessary and requires removing some backing material along with the glue. Not so with the tape.......Art

Offline echatham

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »
never knew tape would do the job.  thanks for the tip.