Author Topic: New to Furtaking in Pennsylvania  (Read 3181 times)

Offline CPLSeraphim

New to Furtaking in Pennsylvania
« on: November 17, 2013, 03:22:56 pm »
Hey everyone. I am brand new to hunting for furs, smaller game, ect. I am trying to figure out from you guys what traps are a must to start out... Frankly I have no idea where to start, and don't have a ton of money to pend on gear. What kind of things can you make at home, like snares? And maybe a website I missed talking about trapping. I really appreciate an help. Thanks

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: New to Furtaking in Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »
CPL, trap size depends on the animals that you are targeting, What part of Pa. ya from, I'm from Erie area, and check out Trapperman.com.  Lots of info. Bob

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
Duke makes 1 3/4 about $7-$8 apiece good all around trap for coon,fox,coyote,cat & fisher I like 110 for muskrat 3 & 330 for beaver.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:10 pm »
My suggestion is to "Begin" with trapping water critters like muskrat and mink. Use 110 conibar traps. Lots of fur and easy to catch or at least easier. Most snares can only be used in water. Check your game laws in your state.
Good luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:34:40 pm »
Outback- I live in Indiana, Pa. Going to check out that site now. Also, is PA, with things like rabbits, during small game season, are you allowed to use your bow to shoot rabbits? or is it all just trapping?

Also, I am looking at raccoon and rabbit right now, at least that sized critter. There is a decent sized creek far enough in the woods to be hard for people to get to (Thick brush and no paths) and there are some nice sized holes there, so I'll probably set some snares or traps over there.

Trapper Rob- who is Duke? A PA member?

And thanks again, I am trying to learn, but so many wide range of choices.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »
Duke is a trap company.

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »
10-4. thanks...

I set up 2 snare traps... see what happens. I used 550 cord, but other than that, just stuf found in the woods. One in a path to the local watering hole (path leading to) and one to a hole in the ground, probably about afoot around... There were 2 close to each other, so I guess we will see.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:22:49 pm by CPLSeraphim »

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
If your in PA you can't use snares yet & you have to take a snaring class with the Game Commission.

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:25 pm »
oh... i see. perhaps i should read just a little more... and perhaps take the class. Snares are down now anyhow. I also bought a dozen 110 traps and 3 160 traps.

I missed the part about snares, and reread that just now. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:24 pm »
If you are new to trapping it would be good to find some one in your area that traps and talk with them. Maybe even run their line with them. You may not understand some of the rules and get in trouble with the game warden. ;)

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »
ryan... im thinking that would be best. apparently there more involved then i thought. thanks for the advice.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 11:11:21 pm »
I would suggest going to the PA Game Commission website and read the rules concerning trapping and snaring. The season for snaring has not opened yet and you are required to use certain tools and materials.  Setting snares that are not the correct material or during a closed season could get you in a heap of trouble. Ignorance of the Law is not a valid excuse to an officer. The snaring season does not open until Dec 26.  Late winter, when the ground has frozen and people pets and unwanted catch are not as likely to be roaming the winter fields.
And as suggested if you can find a trapper in the area to help you  that would be best.  There are courses that can be taken, sometimes sponsored by the PA trappers assoc.