Author Topic: warbow design.  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: warbow design.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:32 am »
  In flight shooting we have an English longbow class. Regardless of weight they have to conform to the 5/8 rule as well as the rounded belly and d cross section. One year mark St Louis had built a 140# yew bow for Heavybows and they disqualified it saying the belly was too flat or not rounded enough. I would like to see a cut off point on when English longbows become war bows and no longer need to conform to the same rules. How do you guys feel about this? I would think about 75# would be a maximum for an English long bow and past that point use a war bow class with its own set of rules.
He must have shown great self restraint in not punching someone....  I daresay the idiots making the judgement weren't bowyers of his stature.
The 5/8 rule is fine, as you would have to go out of your way to breach it.
It is just meaningless to have rules like 'D section' with no clearly defined limits or measurement method. Especially for self bows.
It's exactly this sort of stuff that makes me shun joining more societies and shooting in more competitions.

Warbows should have different rules.
I daresay you can't make a warbow with a D belly from many woods, and doubtless the 100# Elm and 13# Yew I've just made and half the Mary Rose bows would get disqualified!
A simple test like "A straight edge must not be able to sit flat across the belly of the bow at any point" would probably suffice, maybe adding that the edges of the belly must be no sharper than a 3mm radius... or some such. That could be easilly checked by running a gauge along the edges.
That way you can have a square section as long as you round the corners and then slightly curve the belly, which is pretty much like some of the MR bows.
Oh! they should have fancy horn nocks with couloured ribbons and braided handles too (joke)
Del
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:31:09 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:36 am »
Haha, it would be funny if you had happened to of been on the battlefield of Crecy, and had happened to send a nice heavy shaft threw a frenchmans heart, only to hear him hollow back at ya "Sorry but your cross section is a bit too square, it doesn't count!". That would of been disappointing.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »
You can both stay behind after school and write out 100 times "I must not tease the cat".
It's that or the naughty step... well maybe the comfy chair :o
Del

or a squirrel for that matter >:( :laugh: :P

nice descussion guys.

"Warbows should have different rules.
I daresay you can't make a warbow with a D belly from many woods, and doubtless the 100# Elm and 13# Yew I've just made and half the Mary Rose bows would get disqualified!
A simple test like "A straight edge must not be able to sit flat across the belly of the bow at any point" would probably suffice, maybe adding that the edges of the belly must be no sharper than a 3mm radius... or some such. That could be easilly checked by running a gauge along the edges."

i think you hit the nail on the head there del ;)
London, England.

45#@28"