Author Topic: Patience....a bowyers greatest virtue  (Read 3906 times)

Offline ajooter

Patience....a bowyers greatest virtue
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:23:54 pm »
I had some osage a buddy brought back from missouri for me.  The peices were a little short for a bow but I was going to try making some billets from them.  I think I had between 3 and 4 hours into this one particular billet when my lack of patience got the better of me.

I only had to saw off the billet from the waste piece I had in the vice and instead of sawing all the way thru it I tried cheating.  I had left the limb taper thicker so I had some wood to work with and I really liked the knot at the base of the limb.  I have more wood to work with.....back to the drawing board :-)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Patience....a bowyers greatest virtue
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »
O Lord above in Heaven, I do humbly ask Thee for patience...AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!

Been there done that, wore out the reunion t-shirt.  Elbow grease and patience, both handy to have, often in short supply.  Good luck with the rest, friend!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:31 pm »
I have zero patience.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:17:38 pm »
I have lots of elbow grease, but no patience. Often gets me into trouble when making certain things >:(.

Jon

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »
Sometimes it helps to turn on the radio while you work, chill out, take a break now and then. It helps distract you from what you are doing, in a good way. I download coast to coast am episodes on my mp3 player (awesome radio show) and play them in the back ground while I work. Playing some tunes in the background helps too, chills you out and you can take your time then.  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:26:33 pm »
Sometimes it helps to turn on the radio while you work, chill out, take a break now and then. It helps distract you from what you are doing, in a good way. I download coast to coast am episodes on my mp3 player (awesome radio show) and play them in the back ground while I work. Playing some tunes in the background helps too, chills you out and you can take your time then.  :)

I agree wholeheartedly. Music seems to sooth the frustration and to temper those impulsive moves. Also when I'm working in a rhythm I seem to be more productive.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly. Music seems to sooth the frustration and to temper those impulsive moves. Also when I'm working in a rhythm I seem to be more productive.

Agreed
I like osage

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:39:06 pm »
I will surely try some music next time.  I got excited too soon.  I'm an osage virgin  :P.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:27:22 pm »
I have zero patience.

pearl you don't have THAT much
tmk I'm with ya, got's to love ol' George Norrie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:52 pm »
  Now that I am retired I find it easier to be patient because I have more time and less demands on me. I take a break after every step, and I take a break everytime I want to think about something a bit before I do anything. I wished I would have always done this and just stretched the bow out over a little longer period. You will never regret taking as much time as you need.

Offline toomanyknots

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:59:32 am »
I hear ya...

As a young boy I was very patient, growing up between the Beach and the Woods.
But as I have gained in age it seems that my seeming endless reservoir of patience has drained away.
Prolly all this city living I've done over the past thirty years...
Man I need to go fishing or hunting... Or at least get down to the Water or up into the Woods.

Coasties...
You know your baby might be a Hybrid..  >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:35 am »
ever read my signature Gus
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:47 am »
I have heard it a thousand times for people who want to make bows but say"I don't have any patience". Patience is like an art form, you start out with little ability and learn along the way by repeating the same task over and over.

I have minimal artistic ability but have learned patience which makes up for my lack of natural talent.

Bottom line, don't sell yourself short so quickly with the catch phrase"I don't have the patience to build a bow". For most patience is a skill you learn, it doesn't come naturally. At first you may be only good for 5 minutes of concentration, then ten, 20, 30 and so forth.

This is totally off topic as related to bows and put forth as an example only.

I am learning to build flintlocks, if you think bow making demands patience you "ain't" seen nothing until you do a plank build flintlock with only book learning to guide you.

An example, two months work to complete this butt plate inletting because I started with too much wood to cut away, I was going to practice on my way down, big mistake. Blacken the part over a coal oil lamp, press it to the wood and chisel away a bunch .010 chips of soot blackened wood about the size of a pin head or slightly larger. Tens of thousands of little chips that had to be removed.

Start;

Two months later, two or three hours working at a time, yeah, I learned patience to the extreme. I either learned the proper amount of patience for the job or ruined a fine piece of curly walnut stock wood that cost me $150, I learned the patience.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:42:15 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »
I definitely have some stock building I'm my future...

I hear ya Bubby...
I've listened to Far Too Much Coast.
Six or Seven out of Ten shows are about Goofiness.
The other Three or Four shows will be real Scientists or Doctors or such.

I guess you could say Coast is like a Box Of Chocolates...

8)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX