Author Topic: Want to understand how to price a bow  (Read 12379 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Want to understand how to price a bow
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:05 pm »
I had a sinew backed osage Plains horse bow sell for $1,700 once.  But that was because the purported N.A. bought it off me for $200 and turned around, claimed it was his, and resold it!!!

If I could box up my scruples and put them in storage, I could sell sinew backed hickory board bows over in Germany for $1,500 all day long and overnite on Saturdays.  All I would have to do is trump up some fake documentation on Native American Ancestry.  But I am a little bit honest down deep inside somewheres and can't make myself do it. 

Pricing of bows has a lot to do with how you are perceived by the buyer. To a great degree you are selling the sizzle more than the steak.  Band sawn run of the mill oak with a single strand of artificial sinew to hold the bend sells for $400 at a local Native American art gallery here in town.  They won't hold up even as good as the rubber suction cup kiddie bows sold in the dollar stores!  I turn out a museum researched replica of an actual artifact, a shooting replica to boot, and I am lucky to get $5/hour for my work (not to mention nothing for my materials).  Face it, tourists don't want to buy a bow from a sunburnt gingerhaired Scandanavian.  So they are obviously NOT a market I can tap.

But now and then a real archery fiend will find me and start talking about getting one of my bows.  If they are willing to stick to the conversation and really work out what it is they want and expect out of the bow...well, let's just say end up with something that is almost a gimme.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:07 pm »
Good post JW
That's another illustration of why I won't sell on E-bay... don't want people buying and re-selling. Also don't want to sell to some idiot who strings it backwards and conplains it's smashed.
It's the wise man who knows when he's happy doin' what he wants. If my hobby pays for it'self that's fine.
The right person will get a bow at a very generous price... Bill Gates or most polticians on t'other hand would have to pay a king's ransom... Nah, I just wouldn't sell 'em a bow >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 03:10:12 pm »
what sorta price does a one pice Yew ELB sell for?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 03:21:47 pm »
Also don't want to sell to some idiot who strings it backwards and conplains it's smashed.

Third guy I did business with. Tried to 'correct' a wiggly limb, luckily it just collapsed.

Am I wrong in thinking I see terrible hinges in those Osage bows on ebay? I like to think nobody would shame Osage like that, but for the life of me those things look like they're going to snap.

Thanks guys! If all this stands I guess there's really not much to change save for maybe when I get lucky and make a f@#%&glass shamer.

I'll keep making them pretty and try to do right by all the help you guys have been  ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 03:24:51 pm »
Also don't want to sell to some idiot who strings it backwards and conplains it's smashed.

Third guy I did business with. Tried to 'correct' a wiggly limb, luckily it just collapsed.

Am I wrong in thinking I see terrible hinges in those Osage bows on ebay? I like to think nobody would shame Osage like that, but for the life of me those things look like they're going to snap.

Thanks guys! If all this stands I guess there's really not much to change save for maybe when I get lucky and make a f@#%&glass shamer.

I'll keep making them pretty and try to do right by all the help you guys have been  ;D

yep some of thoose bows have terrible hinges.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »
Don Adams used to get $1,000 for the most basic yew ELB.  But he worked many years to build a credible reputation based on a long track record of well made equipment. 

I think maybe a better question than how to price bows is to ask how long should your bows be shot and used aggressively before you think you should be selling them.  If you can build a bow that lasts for a good 5 years of near daily use and abuse, maybe then you could consider selling.  Because frankly, most people buying a bow will say they will be careful with it and follow all safety rules, but in their heart of hearts they think since they paid for it they can bloody well treat it any way they want without fear of repercussions!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »
Super high quality work is the easy part. Self promotion drives price. I've seen countless $1000 bows I wouldn't rate at $350, yet a living is being made at  $1000 each.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 06:58:53 pm »
Another thing I refused to do was sell a bow to a non archer to only be used as a wall hanger on display, I want them shot.

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »
I use to sell my woodwork, items like keepsake boxes.  I was lucky to make $5-$7 dollars per hour.  I did it for the enjoyment of woodworking and passing the time.  Some boxes were very bland and others were down right unique and decent quality.  Having said that; If I ever produce top quality wood bows I would never ask more than $350.00 tops.  Anything more than that would have to be a 3 piece or an R/D.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Newindian

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »
I haven't sold many but I agree with that it's simply what you think it's worth. For me that generally varies between one to six hundred, I won't go over two hundred on a board bow and I might go up to eight or nine hundred for something that has every bell and whistle I can pull out. And occasionally I might sell one for like fifty or less bucks if somebody just wants something to shoot
I like free stuff.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:17 pm »
it's a artisan craft!if a fellqa can't charge 30 bucks an hr well i don,t know!but i'm not even close to that!
!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 01:29:50 am »
Charge whatever you want. Someone might pay. For people like me and others on this site. We love making bows and have no use for 300+ bows in our house. Sell them for what people will pay for them, Not what they are worth.  Or give them away. Don't quit your day job.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 01:50:36 am »
I disagree with the notion that bows should not be made for sale.  I'm not interested in selling them but I am liking to trade them for stuff.

mikekeswick

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:52 am »
It's like a friend of mine who does some of the most amazing wood turning, really high class and perfectly finished....he can't make any money at it because there are loads of older/retired folks who do wood turning as a hobby - and then they sell the things they make for virtually nothing. This i what determines the 'market price' for something. It as though if they cover the price of the wood blank then that's enough for them because it's just a hobby and they don't need to make any money at it. If however you want to do this sort of thing for a living you have to charge a lot more to come even close to actually making a living and not just scraping by all the time.
I'm just about ready to give up making bows for a living. When I see you guys quoting $200 or whatever for a bow then that's cool but I know for a fact that a living can't be made at those prices. What you have got to remember with bows is that the market is very small, even looking at it Worldwide. The overheads start adding up mighty quick and then of course you still have to be able to find perfectly straight grained wood as and when you need it. Wood prices are on the up and up and are never going to get cheaper now. The best boards are bought up long before they even reach woodyards where your average guy can go and buy.
Heck making bows for other people is just a pain and you are really going to have to complete the whole package to make any money long term. I think for guys who got into it a while ago and did some good marketing there's a chance but for the new guy trying to get his name out there - it's a hard way to earn a crust. I could go and get a 'normal' job that would pay many times what i'm getting now with a whole lot less hassle.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 02:06:32 pm »
the guy at the club who im selling the bow to only wanted to pay 80 for the bow but i said 100 minnimum. he agreed. not bad scince the wood was free. ;D
You won't be patting yourself on the back when it whacks him in the head and you have to give him his 100 back plus damages.

I could not agree more! I have seen what people do with bows at shows....trying to string them....then trying to "man up" drawing them. You better look for some good insurance, and expect to remake bows because they let their buddy draw it. Remember these are all wood bows, and even the best bowyer can't guarantee (in extreme conditions) that the wood won't give.

I personally would did this....I would  figure what I would want per hr, then add what you feel the materials are worth, and set your price..........with that said.....I would add 25% to cover your taxes, plus in the event the bow breaks you can cover the costs of the materials for free and only be out your time. .02

I only sell supplies now, and let them break it.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.