Author Topic: Old Style buckskin warshirt  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Peatreg

Old Style buckskin warshirt
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »
Just wanted to share what I got in the mail this week!!  I contacted a man in Wyoming who specializes in traditional plains indian clothing and other such goods.  We shared ideas and photos of originals and I was able to come up with a sketch and a design and he took my ideas and worked it out.  I gave him plenty of free reign since his knowledge is much more hands on than mine.  Made from imitation braintanned deer that was also smoked it is made in the older style of plains shirt.  Later period shirts became more tailored in appearance and I think lost most of the grace that older ones had. The beadwork is hand done with pony beads that he's aged as he has the entire shirt.  Red ocher pigment is rubbed on the upper part of the body and on the sleeves.  Real human hairlocks wrapped with red thread decorate one side of the shirt while brain tanned antelope fringe wrapped in sinew decorates the other side.  The hair represents scalps taken in battle but it wasn't uncommon for relatives to donate the hair.  Human figures would have represented victims in battle and the pipes denote the times when he was the pipe carrier on a war party.  The horse tracks on the sleeves would represent stolen horses or perhaps successful raids where horses were stolen.  The black lines on the sleeves would have been coup marks.  4 ermine hides, 2 on each side have been added as well as the thread wrapped hairlocks from the shirt bib.  Took over a year from when I first contacted him to when it was arrived.  Pictures don't even come close to the beauty of the piece when held in your hand and looked at up close.  It looks straight out of the museum.  Hope that you enjoy.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:49:55 pm by Peatreg »

Offline swamp yeti

Re: Old Style buckskin warshirt
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »
Beautiful work.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:25 pm »
Looks very authentic!  Nice
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:24:42 am »
 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »
Pretty
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:50 pm »
Very, very nice. You gonna wear it or mostly just display and admire it?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:36:04 pm »
Pretty much just for decoration and for me to run my fingers through it!! :) I have worn it to just see how it wears but how much I'll actually wear it I don't know

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:00 am »
Don't blame you, I think I'd do the same with it for fear of spilling coffee on it or some similar carelessness act. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:46 am »
Thats a beauty,love it. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Silver John

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:55:29 am »
I disagree that beautiful shirt is made to be warn.  With some use it will gain even more character.  A little blood (from hunting) and a few sweat stains will add character.  Even a few trip mementos could be added; a squirrel foot here and a deer hoof there will make the shirt a story skin for when you are with your grand kids someday. The shirt becomes an heirloom. 

Silver john

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:26:41 am »
Wow, that's awesome crafting! Probably not for everyday, it's a warshirt after all.
Don't shoot!

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27:36 pm »
Now whey the HELL can't we wear that into battle now instead of the stupid pixelated parking lot camo we have to wear?

That is fantastic. 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
Beautiful work!
1’—>1’

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:18 pm »
now THAT is incredible piece of work!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:32:03 pm »
Is this one of Dave Hagstom's shirts? I like the cut of the hides in it.  Curtis