Author Topic: Birdpoints  (Read 6553 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Birdpoints
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »
There's been some discussion going on lately about using small arrowheads for hunting.  This topic comes around every hunting season.  And there's a good article in the Magazine about the use of small arrowheads entitled, "Are you shooting arrowheads or atlatl heads?"

Well, here's some of my bird points that I've made lately to give you an idea of the size and weight of the real ones.  They are all based on actual artifacts.  The foreshafts are educated guesses based on drawings.  The number written on the foreshafts are the total weight of the arrowhead+foreshaft.

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Parnell

Re: Birdpoints
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:54:32 pm »
I know there has been discussion on it before with what states allow, and I clearly understand the effectiveness of stone hunting points and their penetration, but,  at what width do you think that bird points begin to lose their effectiveness where it could be justifiable by the state?  Do people think there is a justifiable width needed? 

I mean, no one is going hunting with a field point...so thoughts?
1’—>1’

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »
In the state of Oklahoma the min. width is 7/8 ". so that is what we must go by.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:12 pm »
pretty points

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:46 pm »
That's some nice work as always Patrick. It's 7/8 in TX too legally but I believe they excluded the barb restriction. As far as minimum ethical or whatever size and weight I would have to say aim small.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:44:27 pm »
A great representation of hunting points!   I prefer mine to be about 7/8- 1" wide.  If the bow is in the 40's in weight, and law allows, I recommend 3/4" wide points.  here is a picture of my stone points kill display. The heaviest one is 106gr and the lightest is about 40gr. There is a good average of about 80 grains per point.  These were on 450 - 580 grain arrows coming off of 50-60# bows.  they are all at least 7/8 wide but none over 1 1/8" wide.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:01:04 pm »
IMO, a good minimum would be a 1/8" projection to either side of the arrow shaft.  So, if your arrow shaft is 1/4" wide where it is hafted, like most ancient arrow points, the minimum width of the stone arrowhead would be 1/2".

Awesome display!!  :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
Thanks!  sry didn't mean to hijack your thread, just got caught up in adding into the point size discussion.  So you enjoyed the article then I hope?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:34:08 am »
I always get a grin when people call my smaller points  "bird points". I tell them to look at the points that the natives used to bring down bison. Nice points Patrick ,what wood do you use for the foreshafts?. Cool display  Ryan
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:13 am »
Ryan, I really liked the article.  Great job, man.

Roger, I use whatever I've got on hand.  Mostly poverty weed (Roosevelt weed).  I like to use shoots that had lots of leaves/stems so that the knots show on the wood.  I like the rustic look.  I've used dowels but that got a kinda boring.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 11:48:50 am »
Has that article been published, yet?  That display is really cool Ryan.  I'd bet that Anthropologist on here, Atlatlista... I think, would be super interested. 
1’—>1’

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:20:00 pm »
thanks guys.  yeah th earticle is in the latest mag, you prolly have not gotten a hard copy yet. yeah I saw his request I will send him a message
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 01:21:51 pm »
Nice work Patrtick..... as usual.
Good article, I was just about to haft my first point and started thinking, "man, that looks too small". It matches one of the Cahokias in size in my Overstreet so I guess I will use it.

How long and how do you season the poverty weed? Now that I know what it's called, I see it everywhere.
Thanks,
Matt

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 04:17:30 pm »
I bought some 70 grain field points to practice with for next year. Most of the points I make are about 65 grains. There was enough difference in point weight with 125 grain broadheads that it slightly effected arrow flight.

Patrick

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »
thanks guys.  yeah th earticle is in the latest mag, you prolly have not gotten a hard copy yet. yeah I saw his request I will send him a message

Think it may be a she, buddy.  Don't quote me on it, though.
1’—>1’