Author Topic: New Bowyer With Question About Tools?  (Read 5950 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: New Bowyer With Question About Tools?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:35 am »
Hatchet, 2wedges, drawknife, surform, 4 in 1 rasp, tape measure, and pen knife will go along way. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 09:45:25 am »
I'd be lost without my drawknife and hatchet. If I had to pick two tools and throw out all the rest, I'd keep those two.

I used to use a spokeshave quite a bit, but not so much now. The drawknife has almost completely replaced it.

Also the scrapers were a great investment. They allow for very minute adjustments and you don't run the risk of tearouts.

I also really like to use a coping saw for cutting out my nocks, then finish them with a round file.

I don't use rasps all that much, mainly just for shaping tips and handles.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:38 am »
my favorite tool is definitely the draw knife. it can be used as a scraper too, if you hold it the right way. it is my axe and my scraper. if i had to choose two tools and that is all i could use, i would use the draw knife and my sandpaper. i have made whole bows with a drawknife, sandpaper, and a rasp. a yew bow im working on i am only using a drawknife and some sandpaper. really, all these tools hace special uses. i mainly use a drawknife and scraper for roughing out and getting it floor tillered. a rasp i use to shape the handle.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 12:04:30 pm »
Lots of good info here, and obviously some variation from bowyer to bowyer.  I have most of the things listed above, and second the Stanley Surform - I like it better than the farrier's rasp, although I suspect my FR is not that great.  The main thing is to have a fast removal tool (hatchet, drawknife) and a sloooow removal tool (scraper, Shinto or 4-1in-1 rasp, etc.).  Good luck and enjoy!