Author Topic: Hackshortbow and questions.  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Hackshortbow and questions.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
Yeah Laverne is not a bowyer.  He is an honest fella and easy to deal with.  I'm betting you'll have to chase a ring, but with good lighting its not that bad on hackberry.  Josh

Offline rabbitassasin

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »
Hello,
very sorry to bring up an old post,
just wondering, when chasing a ring, does it matter if i go into the ring a bit and not go into the next or does it have to be a perfectly intact and only just scrape off the ring ontop of the desired ring?
thanks alot ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 12:08:29 am »
It's hard enough to get a ring off all by itself when you have a little experience chasing rings, so getting a perfect ring when you haven't had much experience is mighty challenging.  NOT saying you can't, but don't work yourself into a lather over it.

If you take off a little of the next ring without biting into the early wood below it, you should be fine.  You just want to use more finesse when chasing rings than when you are hogging off sapwood like osage.  Any time you feel like you are making no progress, go get a large bucket, fill approximately 1/3 full of ice, add a dash of salt, and fill with cold water.  Submerge your head until the feeling subsides.  Towel off and return to the stave and go back to finesse work. Someone on here used to say, "Softly, softly, catchee monkey".  Good advise.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rabbitassasin

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 04:31:49 am »
Thanks alot, im now onto a ring and the wood im using is being very kind and the drawkinfe is only digging into the ring i want to get rid of so im very slowly removing it (having a hard time waiting for my scrapers to come), i have one more question, can i get it to floor tiller, heat treat it, then get it bending all good as i can then heat treat it again, then add sinew at the very end before the finish? my reading experience has shown most people sinew earlier on than this,

and does plain melted beeswax make a good finish or is it best to add in an oil of some sort , im asking these questions as i go through the build because i now learned that i should ask before i make big steps as if i didnt i now know of several fatal mistakes i would have made, and have already learned a tonne and i know im tackling alot for one of my first bows, but so far its smooth sailing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:38:59 am by rabbitassasin »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:46 am »
I have a hackberry sinewed static in the Build along section, probably page 2 or so. Check it out. It might help you out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.