Author Topic: Hackshortbow and questions.  (Read 3641 times)

Offline rabbitassasin

Hackshortbow and questions.
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:16:41 am »
 Hello,
i recently acquired this stave off eBay (le-enterprises), its nice and straight with no nots with a little relfex in one limb and all seems pretty good along with shaping my bow out.

dimensions are
53"
3.5" handle plus 1.5cm little taper to limb thickness then 2" wide for halfway down the limb (31cm from handle) the the rest tapers to a 0.78" tips (2cm) do these sound like good dimensions for this bow? handle will bend slightly.
also
The back of the bow seems to have these imperfections

there are more of these but smaller on different parts of the back, im guessing this layer is the layer under the bark, and by looking at it from the ends and side, it seems like a very thin layer which is ontop of  a decent latewood layer though they might be the same. my question is will those marks affect the integrity or just a natural thing of pulling off the bark? p.s. i plan to back this bow and to get off the polyethalyne should i just sand it?
thanks, any advice is appreciated
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:27:40 am by rabbitassasin »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hackshortbow and questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:48:02 am »
That has to be cleaned up to one ring still. Your bow will likely not make it if you left it alone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rabbitassasin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:53:02 am »
thankyou, all i need is a straight answer, ill wait till i get my scrapers in the mail to assist working 0n that

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:34 am »
Your in luck, I prefer straight answers myself. What kind of wood is that?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:02:24 am »
I've bought several staves from le enterprises. I can tell you he doesn't chase a ring. He just takes the bark off and seals so you will definitely have to clean the back up. You should also check the description to see when it was cut. His staves are usually fresh cut or only a few months old, so you'll probably need to let it dry for a while. As far as dimensions, they sound okay, but I haven't worked with hackberry.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:33:17 am »
chasing a ring is gonna be a bear..normally just take bark off and build bow....depends on rings....they are usually real tight on hackberry...if the splinter isn't too deep you might be able to sand it and put a sinew bandaid around that limb..hard to tell by pics how bad or deep it is..but it doesn't look good...need a pics of rings ..you may have to try to repair the spot rather than try to chase a ring...gut ..kirk

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37:30 am »
So its hackberry.

Its is a royal pain to chase hackberry, but its possible. Ive had to do it twice, once on a 4" sapling. The scraper and sandpaper keep busy.

Offline J05H

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:57:42 am »
So its hackberry.

Its is a royal pain to chase hackberry, but its possible. Ive had to do it twice, once on a 4" sapling. The scraper and sandpaper keep busy.

I'm sorry I thought I read that it was hackberry. I just reread the first post. I do know le enterprises has been listing a lot of hackberry lately.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:27:17 pm »
The entire back is butchered. You get what you pay for.

Offline rabbitassasin

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »
hi,
the stave was got in march some time making it 8 months old, seems pretty dry to me, and im pretty sure ther is a decent ring just under the thin top layer

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 05:11:23 pm »
post a pic of the end ''saw off a 1/16 or so...so we can see it without sealer...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 05:18:15 pm »
That might be a thin layer cambium left on the back of the stave.  Could you post a better picture of the back?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RyanR

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »
I got a few staves from this same person. I had the same problem with a hackberry and a hickory stave. I think he is a honest guy but, doesn't know much about bow making.  I decided then I will only buy Osage from him because you always chase the ring on that. I still do not know what I am going to do with that hickory stave.  I don't really want to try and chase the ring on that.

Offline rabbitassasin

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »
firstly ill post a pic later on of some excess wood cut off, and the back looks like a quite less dense material than the main rings ive been cutting thru on the belly

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
I got a few staves from this same person. I had the same problem with a hackberry and a hickory stave. I think he is a honest guy but, doesn't know much about bow making.  I decided then I will only buy Osage from him because you always chase the ring on that. I still do not know what I am going to do with that hickory stave.  I don't really want to try and chase the ring on that.

ryan you can sinew it or plane it flat and boo back it or clean it up good as you can and rawhide back it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹