Author Topic: Help with Clovis  (Read 1710 times)

Offline papoints

Help with Clovis
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:44:04 pm »
I just lump everything basally fluted into the clovis category this probably isn't representative of any known point, probably looks like aliens did it.   ;D

There was a healed crack in the stone that seemed to stop the flute twice.  The other side looks basically identical.  To get them to run further does the nipple need to be really low, isolated and heavily abraded?  Or does it just need to be below the centerline?  I have done several like this one and they look less like flutes and more like basal thinning flakes.  I want that big honking flute but that generally leads to two small honking pieces lol.  Oh, and if anyone wants to critique the shape then please do.  I never feel like I get that right on these things.  Thanks in advance.

Offline knapperhead

Re: Help with Clovis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »
Nice work, looks great!
I found a point similar in shape but not fluted, in Bastrop Tx. Not sure of it's type, I haven't found one exactly like it in the reference books.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:27:36 pm »
Most Clovis points did NOT have the big honkin' flutes.  In fact, most have one "medium" flute and one "short" flute.  Some have only one flute.  Some have no flutes at all.  But they are all Clovis.  Most Clovis points are about 1 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long.  The main flute is usually between 1/2 to 1/3 the length of the blade.  Yours looks fine and fits right in with Clovis types.

As for the platform needed for the flute, everyone does it a little differently depending on technique.  I won't get into it here because you could write a book on the subject... :o  On real Clovis artifacts, the platforms were not all the same.  They could be a beveled edge, or an isolated and ground platform, or a simple ground edge with no isolation.  These days, most guys make the flute with a jig.

Later types like Folsom and Cumberland had more refined platforms and long flutes.

I made a Clovis flintknapping video recently if you're curious to see how I make one.  I used some chert that was found on an actual Native American site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJjtTa3RAw

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline StevenT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:54:37 am »
I am not an expert by anyone's standards, so this is just a personal observation I made when trying to get a good flute (non-jig). I would set up a well pronounced nipple just below centerline. But what I wanted to point out was not so much the nipple as the condition of the surface you plan on running the flute down. The point needs to have a very well defined slightly convexed surface running down the center from the base to the point. The smoother the surface with no pronounce ridges or steps or anything like that and you improve the chances of getting the flute to run. Seems like any time I have a anything along the surface, any type booger at all, and that is were the flute stops no matter how good the nipple was or how good I made the strike.

Offline papoints

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:29:26 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Knapperhead, I think the old ones would have done something similar to this so they could get some lunch.  I am more concerned about looks but I probably wouldn't be if using it meant life or death :).  I watched your video Patrick and it was helpful.  You can take the most difficult rock and make something great out of it.  Steven I was thinking about that when I got done.  I think the perfect shape would be a completely and perfectly round flattened egg shape.  I bet some of the FOG guys could make some really cool and different clovis points.  I would like to try but I don't have that equipment.  I don't think I have seen any fog clovis points....

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:53:32 pm »
Patrick, enjoyed the clovis video. What were you using toward the end of the video to pressure flake the edge? thanks, Rick B

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:59 pm »
Thanks Rick.  I use an ice pick from Walmart.  I cut off about an inch from the tip and then file it down flat.  It lasts for about a year of constant use.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr