Author Topic: Longevity of Pacific Yew  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Longevity of Pacific Yew
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 05:01:33 pm »
Not much to add.  I agree with what has been said. 

I have found a good thorough heat-treating works great on yew.  However, I am not sure I would temper the belly of an all heartwood bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »
I'm just being nosey ;) but why are you concerned about decay resistance?

I have a theory that decay resistance correlates to resistance to deterioration, so I want to experiment with woods known for their decay resistance to see if they yield bows that shoot well for a very long time.

Don Case

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 06:00:37 pm »

I have a theory that decay resistance correlates to resistance to deterioration, so I want to experiment with woods known for their decay resistance to see if they yield bows that shoot well for a very long time.

Thanks, Sounds interesting.
Don

Offline Hamish

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »
A bit of heat treating works really well on yew. I wouldn't toast it, do enough to put in a little reflex and it will be a rocket launcher. Don't bend it for at least a week after heat treating, 2 would be even better.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 09:37:56 pm »
My goal is to source a ~60 inch stave and turn it into an all heartwood, sinew backed deflex-reflex paddle bow. I've been really into paddle bows for the last couple years.